Old 14-09-2004, 05:06 PM
WilsonKKW

Default What happens to tadpoles over winter?

What happens to tadpoles over winter?
Kathy
Old 14-09-2004, 05:38 PM
Benign Vanilla

"WilsonKKW" wrote in message
What happens to tadpoles over winter?

Tadpol-Icles?

BV.

Old 14-09-2004, 05:38 PM
Benign Vanilla

Old 14-09-2004, 07:41 PM
Ka30P

Bullfrog tadpoles and some greenfrog tadpoles winter over in the pond, just
like fish. They need a hole open in the ice.

kathy :-)
algae primer

Old 15-09-2004, 01:21 AM
Ed J

I don't think they need any hole in the ice. I have hundreds of bullfrog
tadpoles in my farm pond. It gets frozen over solid for months in the
winter. The tadpoles do quite well and change to bullfrogs during
their second year.

---------------------------------
Ed J edj22 at attglobal dot net
Do not reply to default 'reply' address. Change to above address minus the
blanks.
---------------------------------

Old 15-09-2004, 02:00 AM
Ka30P

EdJ wrote I don't think they need any hole in the ice. I have hundreds of
bullfrog
tadpoles in my farm pond.

'Farm pond' being the operative words here.
Most ornamental ponds are under 1,000 gallons.

kathy :-)
algae primer

Old 17-09-2004, 08:20 PM
Ed J

True, but it does not make any difference to the tadpole.
The smaller ornamental ponds do not freeze solid either. The
tadpoles go dormant or hibernate or something. They do
not need open water to breathe.

---------------------------------

Old 17-09-2004, 09:16 PM
Ka30P

EdJ wrote True, but it does not make any difference to the tadpole.
The smaller ornamental ponds do not freeze solid either. The
tadpoles go dormant or hibernate or something. They do
not need open water to breathe.

I have to respectfully disagree. It is a smart precaution to have a space of
open water in the winter. For a couple reasons. Garden ponds have a lot of
organic matter to the amount of water they hold - consisting of critter waste
and plant debris. This mix of stuff decomposes over the winter and gives off
gases which can be toxic to the pond's inhabitants. Garden ponds usually have a
much higher animal to water proportion so while a large pond can deal with the
waste and debris and freeze over, a garden pond becomes toxic. Also natural
ponds have an influx of water from other sources during the winter and lined
garden ponds are closed systems. Without a hole open in the ice the pond
inhabitants can die as the gas cannot dissipate. Often times a new pond can get
'away' the first winter without this precaution but the subsequent winters will
catch up with it.
Tadpoles, like frogs, are ectotherms, or what we used to call cold-blooded.
They slow down in the winter, go dormant, hang out, lay around. They do take in
oxygen, but very little. They need the warmer temperatures to get their engines
going. Their skins are relatively porous and they will absorb whatever toxins
are laying around.
There are a few frogs who produce a glucose in their bodies that allow them to
'freeze' solid but these are frogs that hibernate on land under the ground.

kathy :-)
algae primer

Old 18-09-2004, 01:01 AM
Ed J

When you are right, you are right.........

Old 20-09-2004, 12:42 PM
WilsonKKW

When you are right, you are right.........

it's a really big man/woman to admit they are wrong!