Old 18-09-2004, 01:22 AM
RichToyBox

When Frances came through here one of my water garden club members pond is
near a large pond, small lake. The lake level rose about 12 feet, putting
his pond under about 4 feet of water. His koi apparently went to the bottom
and hunkered down. When the lake receded, the fish were, as near as he can
tell, all still in the small koi pond.
--
RichToyBox
http://www.geocities.com/richtoybox/index.html

"Gareee©" wrote in message
I'm up in NC, and wwe're getting buckets of water all day, with what looks
like another 2 days worth ahead, and we already had mudslides n such from
the last huricanne.

Kinda funny though.. our pond is still mostly green again, but when it was
raining hard today, I checked up on it, and all the fish were up near the
top, almost as if they were "playing" in the rain! LOL!!

I'm a little concerned about overhigh water levels as well. Hope the

little
guys don't get washed out, and take a yard trip...

--
Gareee© (Gareee "at" Charter "dot" net)
Homepage:

Old 18-09-2004, 03:31 AM
Roy

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 23:22:27 GMT, "RichToyBox"
wrote:

===When Frances came through here one of my water garden club members pond is
===near a large pond, small lake. The lake level rose about 12 feet, putting
===his pond under about 4 feet of water. His koi apparently went to the bottom
===and hunkered down. When the lake receded, the fish were, as near as he can
===tell, all still in the small koi pond.

That is one reason I have an over abundance of KOI in the enclosure
now, as well as bream abnd bass in the main section of the pond. The
stream came up and overfloowed into the pond by about 2 feet one
time. Weeks and months went by and not a sign of any fish......Figured
they all went out with the current flow and high water. So we
restocked it, only to find 99% of all the fish were still in the pond
come the next year when we had a vast difference in sizes of fish and
the breed of bream and bass being different. We stocked different
species both times and now have two species of each kind......

Same thing when I had a tree crunch my KOI enclosure one time. Weeks
went by and koi never again showed themselves in the enclosure. We did
see goldfish and koi outside the enclosure, so we assumed when the
hardware cloth that was on it then got crunched they wam out, so we
rebuilt it and put new koi in the enclosure. I also found out I had a
nice bass inside the enclosure after I fixed it, and we assumed it
probably ate some koi and GF as well, which he probably did not.Now
its loaded with koi and I probably only lost about 4 when they escaped
as thats all I have managed to catch with a cast net and return to the
enclosure. I have not seen any more anywhere outside the enclosure.

One of the funniest thiengs I have seen was yesterday while the wife
and I was watching the action outside during the buildup of the storm.
We elected to let the goats ride it out, outside so they would not
get hurt in the barn if the trees around it fell, and we also let our
one duck and goose outside. Animals can fare far better off on their
own outside than they can in a wooden barn surounded by trees. I had
parked our tractors and other equipment out by the edge of the pond
(only area I could that was least probability of a tree falling, and
these pieces of equipment would most likely not get blown away. Those
goats were on their knees with their butts up in the air and heads
under the open side of a bush hog staying out of the weather.

The pond had waves and white caps o it, and when y ou would get a
good gust the wind would lift a sheet of water off the pond and it
would hit the house just like surf at the ocean. Really neat looking.
But the duck and goose were having a ball in the rain and wind, until
the duck tried to fly off the bank and in to the pond and the wind
caught him and flipped him on his back in mid air and sent him into a
sort of loop, all the while he was frantically beating his wings. He
hit the water on the pond backwards and upside down. The goose had
walked down to the pond and then figured it was just to rough out in
that open area, and as hard as it tried to walk back out it kept
getting blown backwards into the water........both the duck and goose
eventually gave up, and they exited the pond on the opposite side,
but had one heck of a time trying to walk around the poond and get
back to the other side. The duck never again tried to fly, and stayed
grounded for the duration of the storm.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Old 18-09-2004, 12:28 PM
George

"Roy" wrote in message
On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 07:50:03 -0400, "George"
wrote:

snip
===
===Yipes! I can't imagine how you managed to not have more damage to your
pond.
===Good luck. I'd loan you my 18" chain saw, but you are quite a distance
away
===from me. Glad to see that no one was hurt. Was expecting to see some of
that
===rain, but thankfully I live a little west of the storm track (Louisville)
for it
===to have much influence. We are expecting less than an inch today, but
eastern
===Kentucky is supposed to get drenched.
===

I have a natural pond approx 1 acre in size with an enclosure so
other than debri etc getting in thr pond or it filling to high so when
the stream comes up and overflows back into the pond, and have it
possibly get higher than my enclosures top, its pretty well
troublefree and safe..........

Thanks for the offer onthe chainsaw, but I have quite a few as I used
to do tree work on the side, and just view this cleanup and removing
all my trees that have been damaged as a typical job without pay, heck
I am retired and in no hurry, so it will give me something to
do.......got my holes in the roof patched until insurance adjuster
checks it out, so other than replacing some fence and cleaningup and
cutting trees, life is pretty well back to normal routine around
here.......
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

That's good to hear. I looked at your pond site, and I must say that I have a
really bad case of pond envy.

Old 18-09-2004, 12:28 PM
George

"Roy" wrote in message
On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 07:50:03 -0400, "George"
wrote:

snip
===
[...]

Righting What Ivan Wronged Patrick Gardening 11 23-09-2004 07:45 PM
OT - Ivan Kenni Judd Orchids 20 22-09-2004 12:13 AM
[IBC] Goodbye Ivan - Now HELLO Ivan Corcoran. Bil Bonsai 2 18-09-2004 05:10 PM
Textbook procedures, against the odds and still survived. Andrew G Bonsai 0 09-09-2004 03:36 AM
W. H. survived winter Beak 21 Ponds 6 01-04-2003 08:44 AM