Old 17-09-2004, 02:48 AM
Roy

Default Well my pond is now full and it survived Ivan

Its actually more than full as the stream came up so high it was
higher than my ponds spillway and it flooded into the pond. Water was
within 3 inches of going over my enclosure and I was sweating it for
awhile. Its starting to recede now so thats a relief. All its going to
cost me is a new pump oif I can't fix this one. In all the years I
lived here and lots of heavy rains hurricanes and storms the water has
never gotten up as high as it did this time, and I had thought my
pumps sublevel house was ore than sufficient to keepo water out of it,
if the pond or creek rose up......wrong, pump was under more than a
foot or water. Gonna give it time to dry out after I take it apart,
but its gonna have to set for awhile as the house and property comes
first.......Old Ivan managed to dump 19 1/2 inches of rain on me in
less than 12 hours time.........and wipe out over 2 dozen mature oak
and long leaf pine trees, and those are just the ones I am gonna have
to finish taking down. He knocked quite a few done all the way. Most
are in the 100+ foot tall range.........
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Old 17-09-2004, 02:51 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Glad you made it, and apparently have power (generator?) Sorry about the
trees, pump and mess. ~ jan

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 01:48:06 GMT, (Roy) wrote:

[...]
Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 17-09-2004, 03:11 AM
Gareee©

I'm up in NC, and wwe're getting buckets of water all day, with what looks
like another 2 days worth ahead, and we already had mudslides n such from
the last huricanne.

Kinda funny though.. our pond is still mostly green again, but when it was
raining hard today, I checked up on it, and all the fish were up near the
top, almost as if they were "playing" in the rain! LOL!!

I'm a little concerned about overhigh water levels as well. Hope the little
guys don't get washed out, and take a yard trip...

--
Gareee© (Gareee "at" Charter "dot" net)
Homepage:

Old 17-09-2004, 12:50 PM
George

"Roy" wrote in message
[...]

Yipes! I can't imagine how you managed to not have more damage to your pond.
Good luck. I'd loan you my 18" chain saw, but you are quite a distance away
from me. Glad to see that no one was hurt. Was expecting to see some of that
rain, but thankfully I live a little west of the storm track (Louisville) for it
to have much influence. We are expecting less than an inch today, but eastern
Kentucky is supposed to get drenched.

Old 17-09-2004, 12:51 PM
George

"Gareee©" wrote in message
I'm up in NC, and wwe're getting buckets of water all day, with what looks
like another 2 days worth ahead, and we already had mudslides n such from the
last huricanne.

Kinda funny though.. our pond is still mostly green again, but when it was
raining hard today, I checked up on it, and all the fish were up near the top,
almost as if they were "playing" in the rain! LOL!!

I'm a little concerned about overhigh water levels as well. Hope the little
guys don't get washed out, and take a yard trip...

You can always pump or bail some of it out.

Old 17-09-2004, 03:01 PM

no.. usually means they are distressed. check the pH ASAP. warm rain has lots of
dissolved CO2 but lower levels of oxygen. Ingrid

"Gareee©" wrote:
Kinda funny though.. our pond is still mostly green again, but when it was
raining hard today, I checked up on it, and all the fish were up near the
top, almost as if they were "playing" in the rain! LOL!!

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 17-09-2004, 06:52 PM
Roy

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 18:51:16 -0700, ~ jan JJsPond.us
wrote:

===Glad you made it, and apparently have power (generator?) Sorry about the
===trees, pump and mess. ~ jan
===

snip

Yep we have been on generator power since 1030 the eve of Ivan coming
ashore. Don't expect the power on in this area for 10 day or more
according to power company as a large transmission line was severely
damaged and some towers are gonna need replacing. We won;t get water
until power is restored. (but I have a pond full, and now have a
reasopn to swim with my koi!)

I pulled my fish out of the half barrel today so its one less thing to
fool with in regards to feeding and powering up, and put them in the
large enclosure with the other fish, so they should be just fine

Oh well time to go back and start cleaning up this mess........

Only thing we have that never went out is the phone......

Old 17-09-2004, 06:57 PM
Roy

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 07:50:03 -0400, "George"
wrote:

snip
===
===Yipes! I can't imagine how you managed to not have more damage to your pond.
===Good luck. I'd loan you my 18" chain saw, but you are quite a distance away
===from me. Glad to see that no one was hurt. Was expecting to see some of that
===rain, but thankfully I live a little west of the storm track (Louisville) for it
===to have much influence. We are expecting less than an inch today, but eastern
===Kentucky is supposed to get drenched.
===

I have a natural pond approx 1 acre in size with an enclosure so
other than debri etc getting in thr pond or it filling to high so when
the stream comes up and overflows back into the pond, and have it
possibly get higher than my enclosures top, its pretty well
troublefree and safe..........

Thanks for the offer onthe chainsaw, but I have quite a few as I used
to do tree work on the side, and just view this cleanup and removing
all my trees that have been damaged as a typical job without pay, heck
I am retired and in no hurry, so it will give me something to
do.......got my holes in the roof patched until insurance adjuster
checks it out, so other than replacing some fence and cleaningup and
cutting trees, life is pretty well back to normal routine around
here.......

Old 17-09-2004, 08:55 PM
Ka30P

Glad to see people still 'here'.
Makes living with volcanoes seem down
right tame!

kathy :-)
algae primer

Righting What Ivan Wronged Patrick Gardening 11 23-09-2004 06:45 PM
OT - Ivan Kenni Judd Orchids 20 21-09-2004 11:13 PM
[IBC] Goodbye Ivan - Now HELLO Ivan Corcoran. Bil Bonsai 2 18-09-2004 04:10 PM
Textbook procedures, against the odds and still survived. Andrew G Bonsai 0 09-09-2004 02:36 AM
W. H. survived winter Beak 21 Ponds 6 01-04-2003 07:44 AM