GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tadpoles (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/83732-tadpoles.html)

Steve Baker 17-09-2004 04:38 PM

Tadpoles

What do tadpoles eat ?

Ka30P 17-09-2004 04:51 PM

Steve wrote What do tadpoles eat ?

Mostly substrate algae, the algae that grows on the surface of stuff in the
pond. And decaying plant matter. They have nifty little serrated 'teeth' in
their mouths designed to scrape algae off surfaces. And they have a long,
twirled intestine to digest vegetable matter. They will also take in some
protein with any little bug, worm, insect egg or dead critter that they come
across. Some taddies, in a crowded pond, will make an early change to a
carnivorous diet and feed upon their siblings.

When I've kept tadpoles inside I'll feed them organic romaine lettuce that I've
frozen (makes it easier to nibble on) and a few freeze dried bloodworms.

kathy :-)
algae primer

jammer 17-09-2004 09:17 PM

I'd like to add that i fed mine boiled lettuce, hard boiled egg yolk,
and flake fish food. They grew at least 3 times larger than the ones
living on algae. (This was an experiment i did)