GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Really silly goldfish question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/83762-really-silly-goldfish-question.html)

Chakoteya 18-09-2004 11:47 AM

Really silly goldfish question

1 Attachment(s)
but it's as good a way as any to say hi!!

We put in this enormous (8000l) pond last summer, and the fish really like it. So much that last month we spotted 6 black young fish. We weren't trying to breed but well, you know goldfish, the martini's of the pond world (anytime, anyplace, anywhere.)

So the really silly question is - how old/big do they have to get to start turning gold?

They are putting on millimetres by the day, thank goodness, so I don't think the winter fast will do any harm, but I'd love to be able to see them all the time, not just when the sun is on the water.

http://www.luckings.pwp.blueyonder.c...arden/pond.htm

yeah, I know, it needs updating.

Derek Broughton 18-09-2004 03:11 PM

Chakoteya wrote:

but it's as good a way as any to say hi!!

We put in this enormous (8000l) pond last summer, and the fish really
like it. So much that last month we spotted 6 black young fish. We
weren't trying to breed but well, you know goldfish, the martini's of
the pond world (anytime, anyplace, anywhere.)

So the really silly question is - how old/big do they have to get to
start turning gold?

Sorry, you're wrong. It's not a really silly question :-)

The answer, though, is the typical "it depends". I've seen them start to
change in weeks, and others that didn't change for a year - typically
around 5cm. It can be really quite spectacular as a fish develops a small
hint of gold on his back, then as the days go by the gold patch gets bigger
and bigger.
--
derek

Chakoteya 19-09-2004 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek Broughton
The answer, though, is the typical "it depends". I've seen them start to
change in weeks, and others that didn't change for a year - typically
around 5cm. It can be really quite spectacular as a fish develops a small
hint of gold on his back, then as the days go by the gold patch gets bigger
and bigger.
--
derek

Thanks. I'll just have to keep spending time outside watching the little tykes then... lol.