Old 26-09-2004, 04:19 AM
Roy

Default Suggestions hauling koi home

Was offered quite a few (30 to 40 estimate on quanity in pond) koi
that was in a pond on the property of this persons house they just
bought. Its a small pond, above ground, but a lot of the koi are huge
18" plus and there is also a bunch of various other sizes as well. All
this is in a pond of perhaps 24" deep and 4' x 10 feet in
size.........They want the fish gone so they can get rid of the pond
so what would be a good way to haul them home.

I have some pretty heavy inflatable plastic bags used for filling
spaces in shipping cartons etc (just like the baggies they put fish in
in stores only heavier and larger, perhaps10 gal capacity or more)

Fish would have to be hauled about 40 miles. Would these large plastic
bags be suitable or would I be better off buying a few rubber maid
trash cans? Or perhaps some ice chests.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Old 26-09-2004, 08:11 PM

big bags are fine. bags are how fish are shipped. put in water just twice the depth
of the fish. squirt in amquel. blow bag up with air and rubber band it shut full of
air over the water. then put them into box so bag doesnt roll. just make sure they
are not left in the sun. large fish need 1 bag per fish. get em out of bag into
water when getting them home. how you going to quarantine new fish? Ingrid

(Roy) wrote:

Was offered quite a few (30 to 40 estimate on quanity in pond) koi
that was in a pond on the property of this persons house they just
bought. Its a small pond, above ground, but a lot of the koi are huge
18" plus and there is also a bunch of various other sizes as well. All
this is in a pond of perhaps 24" deep and 4' x 10 feet in
size.........They want the fish gone so they can get rid of the pond
so what would be a good way to haul them home.

I have some pretty heavy inflatable plastic bags used for filling
spaces in shipping cartons etc (just like the baggies they put fish in
in stores only heavier and larger, perhaps10 gal capacity or more)

Fish would have to be hauled about 40 miles. Would these large plastic
bags be suitable or would I be better off buying a few rubber maid
trash cans? Or perhaps some ice chests.
Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 27-09-2004, 02:13 AM
RichToyBox

The bags will be fine as Ingrid said, but due to the number of fish, I would
use oxygen instead of just air. I use welding oxygen to fill my bags to
transport my koi, even if it is for a short 15 minute trip. You never know
when something will cause a traffic shutdown. When packed on air, I find
few places will package the fish until you are ready to go home and then
they warn about stopping in route. On oxygen they are good for about 24
hours. That give you time to net, bag and box them, load them in the
vehicle, get them out, temperature acclimate, and release, without any fish
being potentially suffocated.
--
RichToyBox

Old 27-09-2004, 02:13 PM
Roy

Well I got load (17) of fish home, and intend to go back for another
load this weekend. I used the heavy clear plastic bags I had, just
filled sufficient water in them, trapped in a heap of air, and tied
them closed. They range in sizes from small 2 or 3" to better than 20"
in size.. Travel time on the road was only about 30 minutes..did not
have access to O2, but they did well in plastic bags filled with air
and placed in ice chests and coolers and boxes in the back of the
truck.

Once home I placed them in a 350 gallon stock tank I had made out of
galvanized metal, that I placed a sheet of plastic into as the tank
had a few pin hole leaks.........filled the tank with water fom the
pond, and installed a sumbersible pump and filter assembly. I'll keep
em in that for a couple of days, but they all appear healthy. Since
its the same water as n the pond further accimations should not be
necessary. I even have the stock tank partially submerged about 3/4ths
of the way in the pond itself so temps would remain same.

I'll release the larger ones (8" on up) into the main pond as they
are beyond prey size, and put the smaller ones in the enclosure I have
until they get a bit more size to them.

Then its off to get the rest of them. I have quite a few more to
catch yet.......probably in the neighborhood of 20 or so.....Once the
fish are out, she said if I wanted anaything from the pond like the
pump and such or even the rocks and plants etc to take it.......she
just wants the pond gone so they can add an extension on the house.

She did request that if she ever decided to have another pond at a
later date could she get some fish from me..........which certainly
was just fine with me.
Old 27-09-2004, 02:30 PM

be sure to cover that stock tank with netting held down with elastic or boards. fish
jump out of stock tanks. and you know it is going to be the prettiest ones that
jump. Ingrid

Once home I placed them in a 350 gallon stock tank

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 27-09-2004, 04:59 PM
Andrew Burgess

"RichToyBox" writes:

The bags will be fine as Ingrid said, but due to the number of fish, I would
use oxygen instead of just air. I use welding oxygen to fill my bags to
transport my koi, even if it is for a short 15 minute trip. You never know
when something will cause a traffic shutdown.

Good thinking. Or maybe carry a bottle of hydrogen peroxide for emergency O2
if you don't have bottled oxygen.

Old 27-09-2004, 09:02 PM
Roy

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 13:30:45 GMT, wrote:

===be sure to cover that stock tank with netting held down with elastic or boards. fish
===jump out of stock tanks. and you know it is going to be the prettiest ones that
===jump. Ingrid
===
===Once home I placed them in a 350 gallon stock tank
===
===
===~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~
===List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
===
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
===www.drsolo.com
===Solve the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame
===~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~
===Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other
===compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the
===endorsements or recommendations I make.

Yep, I have a metal framed screen top for over these stock tanks I
have as one time I used to use them for brroders for ducklings and
goselings........ At the worst if a fish did jump out it would get a
head start on finding its favorite place in the pond as they are
setting on the ponds bottom surounded with water which is about 10"
from going over the top edge.

Suggestions hauling koi home Roy Ponds 0 26-09-2004 04:19 AM
Home Accents - Any Suggestions??? ACE Lawns 4 28-05-2004 01:07 PM
Hauling Uphill_Watch that Cable... jhultman Gardening 1 18-09-2003 06:32 PM
Hauling Uphill Greg Gardening 20 17-09-2003 01:22 PM
Need person for hauling Ingrid Texas 0 29-03-2003 04:44 PM