Old 27-01-2003, 12:37 AM
Howard

Default Car headlights for in pond use ?

I have always wondered if automotive sealed beam
headlights would make good lights for in pond use.
Low voltage, cheap, is there some problem that
would make them a bad choice ?

Howard

Old 27-01-2003, 02:36 AM
Claude

I've used them for over a year now, no problems so far. To me the biggest
concern was the unknown risk of sealing the connections so to not hurt the
fish. Overdid it the first time trying to make sure not water got to the
connections, really only requires a thin coating obtain "waterproofness" man
is that a bad word or what. The biggest hassle is keeping them from
floating up and keeping them in the correct position, "the right angle".
But with a little creativity with a flower pot and some rocks and be sure to
run the cord the bottom of the pot and it seems to work well.

Old 27-01-2003, 02:17 PM
Sam Hopkins

I know in the aquarium world they are frowned upon because they aren't very
efficient because most of their energy is put out as heat. However, in the
aquarium world they aren't trying to submerge them.

Old 27-01-2003, 09:39 PM
Howard

Are you running the off a automotive battery charger or are you using some
other sort of transformer ?

Old 27-01-2003, 11:49 PM
Claude

Running them off of a 80 watt outdoor lighting transformer, doesn't generate
the heat it does from a car battery because the transformer is very low
amperage. I was hoping for a little heat for the winter months but no luck
there. I load them at 20 watts each, in other words I put 4 of them on a 80
watt powersupply, thus 20 watts each..........Just like the outdoor setups
for your yard, same transformer, except the one that normally comes in the
plastic Malibu light or whatever the name brand is normally 40 watts which
would be enough for 2 lights, I needed 4 and they sell bigger ones up to 200
watts. What I found is if you put more lights on the circuit than the
transformer can handle it will overload and shuts off until it cools back
off. Thermal fuse protected.

Old 28-01-2003, 10:15 AM
Howard

Thanks Claude,
I will give that a try come spring.

Howard

Old 28-01-2003, 03:39 PM
bk

I tried them.
They put out nice light.
I also decided to use them in my landscape lighting. They put out a wider
beam than my existing lights.
Also, I'm planning to use some on high beam to light up some 25' tall palms
in the yard.
.. .

Old 01-02-2003, 03:54 AM
Howard

I was waiting for someone who had done this to reply... but

I am going to start with plain old sealed beam headlights
like all cars used form about 1950-1980. Should be under
$5 a light. For wire I am going to use the stuff intended for
low voltage outdoor lighting. I will solder the wire to the lights
and coat the joint with 100% silicone seal. To power the lights
I will use a low voltage lighting transformer. I think another
poster said they were using 20W per light but I will play around
to see what works best.

Find some way to hold/mount the lights in the pond and you are
done.

And for the lawyers out there.....
As always plug the transformer into a GFI protected outlet.

If anyone has a better idea speak up.

Howard
"MISSYMAGICGIRL" wrote in message
What are the instructions on creating these's lights for the pond??

Thanks,

Sacha

Old 01-02-2003, 04:09 AM
Nedra

Howard, a guy who used to be regular on here made
lights for his pond. I know he used the sealed beams
like you are planning. I also know he cut down half
gallon milk cartons to place the lights in... then, he
wired them, put the silicone around the wires, etc.He
filled up the milk cartons with a
concrete mix. After the concrete set he removed
the milk cartons. Wish my memory could
bring up more of the details. Also, I wish he
was around to correct me ....Randy, are you lurking?
Good Luck!

Nedra

[...]

Offering a free test drive with the favourite car of your choice froma wide range of top car manufacturers like Mercedes, Chrysler, Renault andVauxhall [email protected] United Kingdom 0 29-04-2008 06:29 PM
Add Headlights Doug B. Lawns 3 04-09-2006 06:31 PM
My DIY car head lamp pond light finally went out ;-( matrix j Ponds 0 07-08-2004 10:18 PM
Cement to use/not to use around pond? IanQ Ponds 2 06-03-2003 09:52 AM
Underwater Headlights Barry Ponds 3 08-02-2003 10:40 PM