Old 28-09-2004, 07:19 PM
Roy

Default Catfish feed for Koi

I know there atre diehards against this and those that do it. Today
when I picked up feed at thelocal feed mill I also picke dup a bag od
Feed for catfish. Its folating type and the pellets are approximately
the same size as the Satori (sp?) brand of feeds. Comparing the
analysis tags on both my regular Koi feed and the catfish feed, the
only difference between the two is one item..........The Koi feed has
a max of 6.0% crude fiber while the cat fish feed has a max of 6.5%
crude fiber content.. All other ingredients are esentially the same
right downto the amounts of Vitamins and minerals.........It also
states on the bag do not feed when water temp is lower than 50 deg....

I placed some in a container of water, and no oil slick appeared which
is typical of some floating feeds. Does not get soggy any faster than
the regular koi feed does either.

I threw a cupfullout to see what they would do , and in no time at all
it was gone.........they certainly are not fussy. Best part is the
catfish feed is only $10.00 a 50# bag as compared to $20 some bucks
for less than 5# bag.

The fellow at th feed mill (locally owned and operated company) told
me they sel tons of this feed to the various zoos and Parks around
here and they use it for their Koi, and have been doing this for
years.

Guess only time will tell. A bunch of pond pigs can get expensive to
feed. I feed anytime I go around the pond as I can't resist the urge
to feed em and see em come up for food and watching them scarf it up.
Water temp in pond is still in the high 70's........
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Old 29-09-2004, 01:40 PM

then your regular food isnt all that good either. AND overfeeding koi just ends up
fouling the water.... repost from last year.
Jo Ann and Steve got 77 koi in their big pond. they range from 5-20 lbs each
Steve gives them 2 pints of food per night (which weighs 16 oz), combination of Ogata
and Rangen. the RETAIL cost of feeding their monsters is:
6.5 cents per day per koi
45 cents per week per koi
23.63 bucks per year per koi cause they feed 365 days a year down there in Ala and
they heat their ponds. The koi are monsters and are growing.

their 5 lb fish are around 18-22", so it averages out maybe to around 0.25 lbs per
inch for those big fish.
a quick and dirty estimate of the average is they got 940 lbs of koi and feed 16 oz
of food per day.

I am not sure how many koi I got. Lets say 25 koi from 6-14", I know they arent 0.25
lbs per inch, but lets say my 25 fish weigh in at 40 lbs. I should be feeding 1/24th
as much food as they do, or 2/3 of an ounce per day. Well, I think I feed more than
that cause I been feeding a less than 1/2 cup or around 1.2 oz of food per day.

Last year I bought
5 lbs of Rangen ($4/lb) $20.00
5 lbs of Ogata (5.50/lb) 27.50
5lbs of romet B ($4) 20.00
67.50
I had Ogata left this spring been using it and will run out this week.
I have romet B left and I gave away at least half to people with sick fish.

I started feeding around April 15 when the water is above 55oF.
I quit feeding around Oct 8th. I didnt keep records on first and last feeding. But
this was around 25 weeks I fed the koi. Lets say 24 weeks cause I forget to feed
them every day. So 24 weeks X 7 days X 1.2 ounces per day = 201 ounces per year or
12.6 lbs. If I feed them according to Steve's rate, I should feed 110 ounces per
year or 6.9 lbs of food.
However, I feed 25 koi 12.6 lbs of food per year, average price is $5/lb or so comes
out to $2.50 per koi. Feeding at Steve's rate 6.9 lbs x $5 = 34.50 or $1.38 per koi
per year.
It doesnt add up right, I have more food left over so I may have missed more feedings
than I thought or not feed 1/2 cup. I dunno.
Yeah, that comes out to about 1/2 lb per year per fish.
High quality koi food is around $5 per lb.
High quality koi food has more digestible nutrition per ounce so I dont have to feed
as much and there is less waste coming out the other end to foul my water and foul my
filters.
Ingrid

(Roy) wrote:
Comparing theanalysis tags on both my regular Koi feed and the catfish feed
All other ingredients are esentially the same
Guess only time will tell. A bunch of pond pigs can get expensive to
feed. I feed anytime I go around the pond as I can't resist the urge
to feed em and see em come up for food and watching them scarf it up.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 29-09-2004, 04:55 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Roy" wrote in message
I know there atre diehards against this and those that do it. Today
when I picked up feed at thelocal feed mill I also picke dup a bag od
Feed for catfish. Its folating type and the pellets are approximately
the same size as the Satori (sp?) brand of feeds. Comparing the
analysis tags on both my regular Koi feed and the catfish feed, the
only difference between the two is one item..........The Koi feed has
a max of 6.0% crude fiber while the cat fish feed has a max of 6.5%
crude fiber content.. All other ingredients are esentially the same
right downto the amounts of Vitamins and minerals.........It also
states on the bag do not feed when water temp is lower than 50 deg....

snip

Compare it to basic dog food and cat food, not much difference there either,
I bet.

BV.

Old 29-09-2004, 04:58 PM
Benign Vanilla

wrote in message
then your regular food isnt all that good either. AND overfeeding koi just

ends up
fouling the water.... repost from last year.

snip

Ogata doesn't seem much different in the crude fibre area. Could this be a
less then important number?

Crude Protein Min. 40%
Crude Fat Min. 4%
Crude Fibre Max. 4%
Ash Max. 12%
Moisture Max. 9%

BV.

Old 30-09-2004, 02:07 PM

"Benign Vanilla" wrote:

wrote in message
then your regular food isnt all that good either. AND overfeeding koi just

ends up
fouling the water.... repost from last year.

snip

Ogata doesn't seem much different in the crude fibre area. Could this be a
less then important number?

Crude Protein Min. 40%
Crude Fat Min. 4%
Crude Fibre Max. 4%
Ash Max. 12%
Moisture Max. 9%

BV.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

catfish food for koi :-) ~ Windsong ~ Ponds 49 30-08-2017 01:59 PM
Koi and Catfish MIstatee Ponds 21 26-07-2004 02:02 AM
fingerling catfish feed (easy to find) ideas needed Bruce Ponds 4 13-09-2003 01:02 PM
catfish food for koi :-) Andrew Burgess Ponds 2 18-06-2003 07:08 PM
Koi Food Survey - Catfish food for $10.99 per 50 lb bag. ~ Windsong ~ Ponds 2 13-06-2003 02:32 PM