GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   When to clean filter? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/84862-when-clean-filter.html)

Rob 11-10-2004 06:13 AM

When to clean filter?

I've got an Oase Filtoclear 800 for my small (400 gallon) pond. It has
a lever to backwash the filter and send the dirty water out a
different tube. I'm to turn the lever, then pull on a handle that
apparently compresses the foam elements in the filter, helping to
clean the filter.

The question: When should I do this, and how often? Isn't the filter
supposed to build up beneficial bacteria? Won't the backwashing
process just wash away this good stuff? Also, do I need to do a more
thorough cleaning of the filter than this?

Many thanks.

~ jan JJsPond.us 12-10-2004 10:31 PM

On 10 Oct 2004 22:13:48 -0700, (Rob) wrote:

I've got an Oase Filtoclear 800 for my small (400 gallon) pond. It has
a lever to backwash the filter and send the dirty water out a
different tube. I'm to turn the lever, then pull on a handle that
apparently compresses the foam elements in the filter, helping to
clean the filter.

The question: When should I do this, and how often? Isn't the filter
supposed to build up beneficial bacteria? Won't the backwashing
process just wash away this good stuff? Also, do I need to do a more
thorough cleaning of the filter than this?

I think Crash mentioned flow, as it lowers time to backwash. When you
backwash it removes the guk off the bacteria so it works more effectively.
Depending on where you are located, how heavily stocked your pond is,
you'll probably need to do a complete cleaning yearly. The manual should
mention this. I do my cleanings in fall, but have a dyi filter. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Rob 13-10-2004 05:53 AM

What is a dyi filter?

Nedra 13-10-2004 06:28 AM

it's a do-it-yourself filter. I'll let Jan explain...
Nedra

"Rob" wrote in message
om...
What is a dyi filter?

Crashj 13-10-2004 02:26 PM

On 12 Oct 2004 21:53:20 -0700, (Rob) wrote:
What is a dyi filter?

ITYM, DIY?
Do It Yourself?
A filter built for a specific pond by the ponder, based on principles
of removing solid foreign matter from the circulating water, whilst
providing a biological cycle to remove toxic waste byproducts,
especially ammonia and its daughter products.
"Pedants R us"

--
Crashj

Ka30P 13-10-2004 05:00 PM

Rob wrote:
What is a dyi filter?

Do It Yourself. Or in my case, Husband Builds It Himself. HBIH.
We decided to go that route as we didn't like the looks or capcity of any of
the commercial ones available. Building it allowed us to build a waterfall
around it and hide it from view. We've tinkered with it over the years. Started
out as a strictly mech/bio filter and is now just a plant filter with no mech
filtering at all except what is swept up by the roots of the water hyancinth or
trapped in the roots of the watercress in the waterfall. (This development is
just sheer laziness on our part, or maybe the product of having three teenagers
and no life or money ;-)

kathy :-)
zone 7, SE WA state

Derek Broughton 13-10-2004 05:53 PM

Ka30P wrote:

Rob wrote:
What is a dyi filter?

Do It Yourself.

I'm pretty sure 'dyi' is an acronym for "Do yourself in" :-)

Or in my case, Husband Builds It Himself. HBIH.
We decided to go that route as we didn't like the looks or capcity of any
of the commercial ones available. Building it allowed us to build a
waterfall around it and hide it from view. We've tinkered with it over the
years. Started out as a strictly mech/bio filter and is now just a plant
filter with no mech filtering at all except what is swept up by the roots
of the water hyancinth or trapped in the roots of the watercress in the
waterfall. (This development is just sheer laziness on our part, or maybe
the product of having three teenagers and no life or money ;-)

No, no, no. It's _not_ laziness. You're simply trying to design a filter
which will work for the millions of _other_ ponders out there who _are_
lazy. It's just a public service on your part :-)

Anyway, why on earth would anyone want a high-maintenance setup? - you spend
so much time keeping the pond working, you don't get to enjoy the pond.
--
derek

Ka30P 13-10-2004 07:01 PM

Derek wrote
You're simply trying to design a filter
which will work for the millions of _other_ ponders out there who _are_
lazy.

Will that work for the lawn, the garage and the molding that was supposed to go
up ten years ago??

kathy :-)
zone 7, SE WA state

~ jan JJsPond.us 13-10-2004 10:09 PM

On 12 Oct 2004 21:53:20 -0700, (Rob) wrote:

What is a dyi filter?

Do It Yourself, husband designed, son built, instead of off the shelf.
~ jan :o)

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

~ jan JJsPond.us 13-10-2004 10:15 PM

Rob wrote:
What is a dyi filter?

I'm pretty sure 'dyi' is an acronym for "Do yourself in" :-)

Derek, no dyslexic you. I sure didn't catch that. :o) And you may very well
be right in the long run, if I do any more headers into the pond.

K30 wrote. (This development is just sheer laziness on our part, or maybe
the product of having three teenagers and no life or money ;-)

Derek replied: No, no, no. It's _not_ laziness. You're simply trying to design a filter
which will work for the millions of _other_ ponders out there who _are_
lazy. It's just a public service on your part :-)

Finally the voice of reason. In simple form: Stop the Guilt. Now let's
talk about how K30 culls the herd when she gets too many fish. ;o)
~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~