Old 28-01-2003, 03:53 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Pond Liner vs. Roof Liner

I have heard talk that roofing EPDM is the same as pond liner. I have also
heard people say it can have "toxic" chemicals on it that can kill fish. I
was hoping I could take an informal survey.

If you have a flexible liner pond...

1. Did you use
A) pond liner
B) roof liner

2. If you answer B to question 1, did your fish die?

BV.
Old 28-01-2003, 05:43 PM
Howard

I have used both. No problems.

I have only heard the warning regarding the roofing material.
I have never heard where someone had a problem with it.
Then again we do not worry about mildue on our roofs in Colorado.
So it may depend on where you live. Your quest for a general
answer may be faulty in that the answer may be regional.

If you have doubts check with the local roofer supply and ask if
they have had people use it in ponds. The get the id of the maker
and check out what they have to say. If they say it is safe then
great. If they say it is not aproved for ponds then you need to
check further in that they may want to sell more expensive pond
grade liner which may or may not be the same stuff at a higher
price. Perhaps that last sentance was a might too long.

Howard

"BenignVanilla" wrote in
message ...

Old 28-01-2003, 05:57 PM

roof liner, fish fine. most of these "toxic kills" are due to too many fish tossed
into ice cold water and the fish die from a combination of cold shock and ammonia
poisoning. Ingrid
Old 29-01-2003, 12:37 AM
punky

"Lake Erie" (pond 1): 2000 gal. put in by pro with pond liner.

"Lake Superior" (pond 2): 4000+ gal., dug by self & used roofing liner at
less than 1/2 the price. Tips: unroll liner, hose down and push-broom talc
off at least 2X. After filling, do not put fish in for 1 month. This is my
koi pond and I haven't lost any fish.
"BenignVanilla" wrote in
message ...

--
BenignVanilla
tibetanbeefgarden.com

Remove MY SPLEEN to email me.

Old 29-01-2003, 11:32 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Same thing.

Check thru deja for threads on the subject of liners. In the factory the
only difference is the labels on the liner wrapping. Lots of us use roof
liner. Our pond has selections from four different roof liner purchases.
No problems.

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net
"BenignVanilla" wrote in
message ...

Old 29-01-2003, 02:27 PM
BenignVanilla

"punky" wrote in message
.. .
"Lake Erie" (pond 1): 2000 gal. put in by pro with pond liner.

"Lake Superior" (pond 2): 4000+ gal., dug by self & used roofing liner at
less than 1/2 the price. Tips: unroll liner, hose down and push-broom talc
off at least 2X. After filling, do not put fish in for 1 month. This is

my
koi pond and I haven't lost any fish.

Thanks to everyone that as responded!

BV.

Old 29-01-2003, 04:20 PM
Cleveland Ponder

I have a 9000 gal pond with a 25 ft stream all lined with 45mil EDPM
roofing liner. I have had no problems at all. The only thing I did
prior to installation was to hose it off. Only word of warning is
that it is not light. I started out with a piece that was 40' x 50'
which weighed 780lbs.

Old 15-11-2006, 04:25 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by
roof liner, fish fine. most of these "toxic kills" are due to too many fish tossed
into ice cold water and the fish die from a combination of cold shock and ammonia
poisoning. Ingrid

Your are correct that fish must be acclimated and not "tossed in"; however, I would like to clarify that most garden pond fish are carp. Carp by nature are cold water fish. The cold water will not kill your fish, but rather the sudden temperature change will shock/kill them. My experience with pond liner is that there is no difference. I've been building water gardens for 17 years now and have never had an issue with customers calling me because their fish keep dieing. If you ask me, "fish safe pond liner" is merely a scare tactic to get more $ out of your pocket. If there is a difference, 17 years worth of customer's wouldn't know it!
Old 15-11-2006, 06:09 PM posted to rec.ponds

"skelley69" wrote in message
If you
ask me, "fish safe pond liner" is merely a scare tactic to get more $
out of your pocket. If there is a difference, 17 years worth of
customer's wouldn't know it!

======================
This goes for fish foods as well. I bought the expensive koi food this year
and the fish did no better than they did on the trout and catfish foods for
$12 per 50 lb bag. Pond owners are being fleeced any way the pond supply
merchants can think of.

In fact the fry grew SLOWER and are going into winter smaller and thinner on
the foods from the Pond store than they did on the cheaper food in previous
years. And for this I paid $60.00 more! :-(
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Pond Liner Material Identification - What Pond Liner to Choose FLP Ponds (alternative) 0 10-02-2010 09:35 AM
roof liner rtk Ponds 27 18-02-2007 04:22 PM
Old aluminium roof under pond liner,good idea or not? please advise John Ponds 4 29-01-2003 08:03 PM
Old aluminium roof on top of pond liner,good idea or not? please [email protected] Ponds 0 28-01-2003 06:33 PM
Old aluminium roof on top of pond liner,good idea or not? please advise John Ponds 2 28-01-2003 06:00 PM