GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Copper gate valve OK? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/84938-copper-gate-valve-ok.html)

Rob 11-10-2004 01:03 AM

Copper gate valve OK?

I just installed a copper gate valve and remembered I'd read here that
copper is a no-no in ponds because it can kill the fish.

What's the opinion he will one short length of copper (actually,
it's brass, that has copper in it) cause problems in my 400 gallon
pond? I wanted a PVC valve, but it wasn't available at the time of my
purchase...

San Diego Joe 11-10-2004 06:19 PM

"Rob" wrote:

I just installed a copper gate valve and remembered I'd read here that
copper is a no-no in ponds because it can kill the fish.

What's the opinion he will one short length of copper (actually,
it's brass, that has copper in it) cause problems in my 400 gallon
pond? I wanted a PVC valve, but it wasn't available at the time of my
purchase...

I wouldn't worry about it. While copper is dangerous to fish, if you do
regular water changes I doubt the levels would be able to build up to
anywhere near a toxic level.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Goldfish, a RES named Colombo and an Oscar.

Phisherman 11-10-2004 11:42 PM

On 10 Oct 2004 17:03:21 -0700, (Rob) wrote:

I just installed a copper gate valve and remembered I'd read here that
copper is a no-no in ponds because it can kill the fish.

What's the opinion he will one short length of copper (actually,
it's brass, that has copper in it) cause problems in my 400 gallon
pond? I wanted a PVC valve, but it wasn't available at the time of my
purchase...

Copper is poisonous to fish, although it depends on how much gets into
the water. A 400 gallon pond is small, so it would be better to
replace the valve with a plastic valve.