Old 12-10-2004, 01:52 AM
Nathan A. Smith

Default Finding and fixing pond leak

Hi pond experts...

I have a leak.... it isn't a big one, nor is it small. I have a pond
with surface area about 20 sq feet. I am losing about an 1-2" over 4-6
hours.

I have fish (a total of 10: 8 gf, 2 Koi, 15 rosy reds) with total volume
about 500 gallons -- all the fish are small (under 8"). The pond is made
up of the main pond and a veggie filter. Main pond has a skimmer (with
pump in it) sitting opposite a waterfall.

From my reading, the suggested way to find a leak is to allow the water to
drop until it stops -- then add 1/4" of water and use milk or food
coloring around the pond to find the leak.

My problem... water level hasn't stopped (yet) and it is getting below my
skimmer weir. Stated another way -- starting from a full pond, the water
will not reach the leak level before sunset. If I leave it at the point
its dropped to then I will have to turn off the skimmer (because water
level will drop below the wier). That means no water flow for the
night... And since it's still dark when I leave for work... It will be
off most the day.

Thus my problem. If I want to find the leak -- then no pump, but that
would be bad for the fish/bacteria/etc.

So how do I address this?

Nathan

Old 12-10-2004, 04:16 AM
Pinkpggy

Since we just went through this kind of thing, I feel we are experts. LOL
First of all, let me ask you a couple of questions. Have you turned off your
waterfall at all? If not turn it off, and see if the water level still drops.
If it doesn't, the leak is in your waterfall. If the water level still
continues to drop, then the leak is in the pond itself. And if its in the pond
itself, you will have to let it drop until the water level is below where the
leak is.If you think the leak is in the pond, you may have to take the fish out
and put them in something else. Our leak was in the waterfall, so it was a
little easier to fix then if its in the pond. Is it possible that the leak is
where your skimmer is? I have heard of others having leaks around the skimmer.
Good luck. Believe me finding a leak is a frustrating thing.
Jan
"Our Pond" Page
http://hometown.aol.com/pinkpggy/index.html

Finding a pond leak GardenCadet Ponds 3 07-02-2019 03:23 PM
Fixing collapsing pond walls Reel Mckoi Ponds 1 05-07-2005 12:50 PM
finding a leak PETER DOYLE Ponds 3 29-04-2005 08:57 PM
Finding and fixing pond leak Pinkpggy Ponds 0 12-10-2004 04:16 AM
Fixing the pond edge Paul DeWolf Ponds 2 25-05-2003 06:08 PM