Old 28-01-2003, 04:21 PM
John

Default Old aluminium roof under pond liner,good idea or not? please advise

Hi,all:
I am going to build my first pond, I have some old aluminium roof
(there are trash to me anyway), I am thinking about put the aluminium
roof under the liner to prevent the tree root from penetrating the
liner, will this work? or there are better ways ? please advise.
Thanks in advance.
John
Old 28-01-2003, 06:06 PM
BenignVanilla

"John" wrote in message
m...
Hi,all:
I am going to build my first pond, I have some old aluminium roof
(there are trash to me anyway), I am thinking about put the aluminium
roof under the liner to prevent the tree root from penetrating the
liner, will this work? or there are better ways ? please advise.
Thanks in advance.
John

What timing...we just pulled the carpet up in our (w)rec(k) room. I have it
rolled up and ready to go down as underlayment for my pond. I was going to
post today, and ask people on their thoughts about this?

BV.

Old 29-01-2003, 02:55 AM

I tried using old carpet. it was extremely heavy, it did not bend very well around
curves, it did not want to stay put, kept sliding down as we put the liner in. we
used it anyway. when the sides of the pond broke down and slid we pulled up the
liner and the jute back was rotted and moldy and we got rid of it and went with
totally synthetic carpet padding. Ingrid

Old 29-01-2003, 02:25 PM
BenignVanilla

wrote in message
I tried using old carpet. it was extremely heavy, it did not bend very

well around
curves, it did not want to stay put, kept sliding down as we put the liner

in. we
used it anyway. when the sides of the pond broke down and slid we pulled

up the
liner and the jute back was rotted and moldy and we got rid of it and went

with
totally synthetic carpet padding. Ingrid

Is the molding and rotting a problem/danger for the pond? I just want to lay
some of it down underneath, so if/when I walk in the pond to clean it or
whatever, there is something semi-soft under the liner.

BV.

Old 29-01-2003, 08:03 PM

I think when the jute rots the fibers of the carpet comes loose and packs. It is no
way going to be as soft and "padded" as using real padding. I have to say that I am
really suprised that the cheap recycled foam padding we used is still padding after
the weight of all that water pushing down on it after 3 or 4 years. Ingrid

"BenignVanilla" wrote:
Is the molding and rotting a problem/danger for the pond? I just want to lay
some of it down underneath, so if/when I walk in the pond to clean it or
whatever, there is something semi-soft under the liner.

BV.

Pond Liner Material Identification - What Pond Liner to Choose FLP Ponds (alternative) 0 10-02-2010 09:35 AM
Pond Liner vs. Roof Liner BenignVanilla Ponds 8 15-11-2006 06:09 PM
Relocating old aluminium glasshouse (New glass seals?) Tom United Kingdom 6 12-10-2005 03:58 PM
Old aluminium roof on top of pond liner,good idea or not? please [email protected] Ponds 0 28-01-2003 06:33 PM
Old aluminium roof on top of pond liner,good idea or not? please advise John Ponds 2 28-01-2003 06:00 PM