Old 22-10-2004, 10:01 PM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

Default End of season thoughts on yellowing hyacinth

Early this season I posted about our yellowing hyacinth. The hyacinth in
the main pond were yellowing and dying. Those in the filter ponds were
getting yellow, more slowly. I received a lot of helpful advice and began
to approach problems one by one. In the end, my conclusion is as follows.
We had two problems: nutrients and koi.

Once nutirients (potassium, especially) had been dealt with, the filter
hyacinth began to green and multiply as usual.
The main pond hyacinth continued to die. Root inspection indicate a decided
lack thereof in the main pond plants! Think hungry koi.

To test the theory, some of the healthy filter hyacinth were put in the main
pond...result: yellowing and root loss.

Conclusions:

1. Fast-growing hyacinth use nutrients that need then to be supplied.
2. Koi can learn to eat roots. Our 6-year holiday with non-root-eating koi
is over.

Jim

Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 23-10-2004, 02:36 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Jim and Phyllis Hurley" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

SOMLOL.

I dunno, this is awfully funny for me. When I toss WH into the main pond, my
Koi are on them before they stop bobbing around from my toss.

BV.