GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   nasturtiums? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/85779-nasturtiums.html)

melissa 29-10-2004 10:12 PM

nasturtiums?

has anyone ever tried nasturtiums (not sure on spelling) in the pond. i
found some growing in a half barrel filled with water. and wondered if
they are poisonous to fish. i think that some people eat these as salad
greens.
thanks for any and all answers!
melissa

KenCo 30-10-2004 08:21 AM

melissa wrote:
has anyone ever tried nasturtiums (not sure on spelling) in the pond. i
found some growing in a half barrel filled with water. and wondered if
they are poisonous to fish. i think that some people eat these as salad
greens.
thanks for any and all answers!
melissa

they give off a natural odor? or scent? that makes
the plant an insect repellant in gardens so I dont
think they would be safe for a pond.

--
http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-831-5739 cell 401-225-0556

Linux (SuSE 8.2) user #329121
Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the
sending of this contaminant free message We do concede
that a signicant number of electrons may have been
inconvenienced ;)

Dances With Ferrets 30-10-2004 10:42 AM

Well, for starters... the half-barrel that you found them in was
probably only temporarily flooded with rainwater. Nasturtiums DO NOT
like to have consistently wet feet, they tend to rot if this is the
case. As for whether or not they are safe for fish to eat? I'm not a
scientist or nutritionist, but I've eaten them myself in salads, and
as far as I know, they are safe for most mammals.... maybe do a google
web search on this question.