Old 29-01-2003, 06:30 PM
Tom La Bron

Default OT ~ Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers

D-Kat,

I used to read volumes of SciFi literature long ago and had given up
on women writers, as far as SciFi was concerned. Then I got one of
LeGuins novels and as far as I am concerned she is one of the best
female writers that has come along in SciFi. She is a top of the line
writer.

Tom L.L.
==================================
From: D Kat )
Subject: OT ~ Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers

Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: 2003-01-29 06:30:56 PST

Have you read Ursula LeGuin's Earthsea Trilogy (and following books)?
have tried to talk my son into trying them but so far he is too
"loyal" to
Harry Potter to step out on them. If you have not read LeGuin's
books, I
HIGHLY recommend them. Though I am a Potter fan I see the theme as
taken
from the first book.
Old 29-01-2003, 08:12 PM
K30a

Ursula LeGuin's Earthsea Trilogy

Sounds interesting, can you give an
overview?

k30a
Old 30-01-2003, 03:28 PM
DKat

I would put her as one of the best writers period. I have heard people
insult science fiction or fantasy as not being real literature. I tell them
to read one of her books and then get back to me.

om...

Old 30-01-2003, 04:03 PM
K30a

Romance and Sci Fi - two mega sellers, rarely get any respect.

k30a
Old 04-02-2003, 06:27 PM
D Kat

Wow, that would be really hard to do given the range of her works. There
are many sites that review her books. I disagree with those that claim the
follow ups on her Earthsea trilogy were of a lesser quality. I liked them a
lot. If you are a Harry Potter fan, then you really should start with the
Earthsea trilogy. The first book starts with the beginning of the story of
Ged, a young orphaned boy who goes to the famous wizard school to learn his
craft. It does not have the fun and silliness of any of the Harry Potter
books so don't expect that but do expect to love the characters and the
story itself.

The Left Hand of Darkness is one of my favorite books and I believe her
first. The Dispossessed I believe is required reading in many college lit
courses. These are not fast paced, shallow character books. She creates
worlds you fall into and feel rudely expelled from when the book ends.

DKat

http://www.ursulakleguin.com/
http://www.levity.com/corduroy/leguin.htm

Old 04-02-2003, 08:08 PM
K30a

DKat wrote The Dispossessed I believe is required reading in many college lit
courses.

Now that's impressive!
thanks,
k30a

Please Help us elderly and disab led Green The UWS of Manhattan'sWise Towers DENDRONISTA Gardening 0 19-03-2010 02:57 AM
Wanted: spring-flowering bulbs and perennials for Rabbi Robert S.Wise Towers Greening Initiative NYC (UWS)) DENDRONISTA Roses 0 12-09-2009 02:30 AM
Alton Towers Baal United Kingdom 0 18-04-2009 11:26 PM
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King [email protected] Ponds 7 19-12-2003 05:29 PM
OT ~ Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers D Kat Ponds 13 30-01-2003 05:35 PM