Old 08-11-2004, 04:41 PM
Cam

Default Electric Fence in winter

I live in Toronto, zone 5b, and I am getting my pond ready for winter.
What should I do with my electric fence? Does anyone run theirs under
the snow? The raccoons don't hibernate and I'd like to keep them out of
the pond. What do you suggest?

Cam

Old 08-11-2004, 05:37 PM
Ka30P

Hi Cam,

In your area I'm expecting the herons head south for the winter. They only hang
around where there is open water (like where I live) in the winter.

Raccoons slow down at the very least. Males heading around looking for females,
moms hanging about with the resultant babies. They put on a lot of weight to
get them thru the winter. There won't be any plants for them in the pond, the
fish will be at the bottom. You 'should' be safe...

kathy :-)
3000 gallon pond
800 gallon frog bog
home of the watergardening labradors
zone 7 SE WA state
Old 08-11-2004, 11:59 PM
Anne Lurie

Cam,

I have a Chessie/Lab who really misses snow -- I could send her up to you!
Unfortunately, the shipping costs would be exorbitant, not to mention the
cost of feeding the 75 pound beast! (plus she can only sleep on a human's
bed).

Maybe you should just run the electric fence in the winter.

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

oups.com...

Old 09-11-2004, 02:07 PM
Cam

Anne Lurie wrote:
"Cam" wrote in message
oups.com...
I live in Toronto, zone 5b, and I am getting my pond ready for

winter.
What should I do with my electric fence? Does anyone run theirs

under
the snow? The raccoons don't hibernate and I'd like to keep them

out of
the pond. What do you suggest?

Cam,
I have a Chessie/Lab who really misses snow -- I could send her up

to you!
Unfortunately, the shipping costs would be exorbitant, not to mention

the
cost of feeding the 75 pound beast! (plus she can only sleep on a

human's
bed).
Maybe you should just run the electric fence in the winter.
Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Anne,
I've got a Portuguese Water Dog that would love to play with your
Chessie/Lab. Still, the raccoons come in the middle of the night, even
in winter. Does anyone have any experience running an electric fence in
winter? Will it short out in the snow?
Cam

Old 09-11-2004, 02:48 PM
ajames54

It wont short out in the snow... at least mine doesn't...
Well I don't really know that for sure, the hydro bill doesn't go up
and it doesn't pop fuses.
It just stops working when the snow piles up so high the racoons can
walk over it.

I went to Home Despot on the weekend and invested in some netting (six
bucks CDN) mostly for the leaves but also to add a bit of protection
until the ice forms...

(I believe in defense in depth)

Old 11-11-2004, 01:06 AM
Crashj

On or about 8 Nov 2004 08:41:48 -0800, "Cam" wrote
something like:
I live in Toronto, zone 5b, and I am getting my pond ready for winter.
What should I do with my electric fence?

I ran fence for years for horses. A good unit will drop the high
voltage circuit when it shorts out. How high is your wire - single or
multiple strand?
--
Crashj
Old 11-11-2004, 04:10 PM
Cam

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 01:06:37 GMT, Crashj
wrote:

On or about 8 Nov 2004 08:41:48 -0800, "Cam" wrote
something like:
I live in Toronto, zone 5b, and I am getting my pond ready for winter.
What should I do with my electric fence?

I ran fence for years for horses. A good unit will drop the high
voltage circuit when it shorts out. How high is your wire - single or
multiple strand?

it's a 'Fi-Shock 750 'garden fence. single strand 8 inches off the
ground