Old 09-11-2004, 04:47 PM
figaro

Default adding goldfish to pond in winter?

The question: is it safe to move a 6 inch sarassa comet goldfish from a
very small outdoor pond (50gallon) to a larger 700 gallon pond when...

1-the larger pond is much colder and the fish are already hibernating?
2-the smaller pond fish are active and still feeding?

I live in soCal and the owner of the large fish finally came to the
conclusion that his small pond is way overstocked and the likelihood of this
large and very beautiful fish surviving for much longer in an overstocked
tub are slim.

Thanks for your help.

Old 09-11-2004, 06:15 PM
Phisherman

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 15:47:07 GMT, figaro wrote:

The question: is it safe to move a 6 inch sarassa comet goldfish from a
very small outdoor pond (50gallon) to a larger 700 gallon pond when...

1-the larger pond is much colder and the fish are already hibernating?
2-the smaller pond fish are active and still feeding?

I live in soCal and the owner of the large fish finally came to the
conclusion that his small pond is way overstocked and the likelihood of this
large and very beautiful fish surviving for much longer in an overstocked
tub are slim.

Thanks for your help.

The fish will have a greater chance of survival if the transition is
gradual. Set a trash can in the large pond and fill it with water
from the small pond and put the goldfish in the can. The following
day the temperatures will be the same. Do not feed the fish one day
before and during the transition period. For a 50 gallon pond 4 or 5
medium-sized fish is plenty--under stocking is much better.

Old 10-11-2004, 12:51 AM
San Diego Joe

"figaro" wrote:

The question: is it safe to move a 6 inch sarassa comet goldfish from a
very small outdoor pond (50gallon) to a larger 700 gallon pond when...

1-the larger pond is much colder and the fish are already hibernating?
2-the smaller pond fish are active and still feeding?

I live in soCal and the owner of the large fish finally came to the
conclusion that his small pond is way overstocked and the likelihood of this
large and very beautiful fish surviving for much longer in an overstocked
tub are slim.

Thanks for your help.

I'd say you are fine. My water is still in the 55-60 degree range, so if you
are in so cal it should be the same.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Goldfish, a RES named Colombo and an Oscar.

Old 10-11-2004, 05:25 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 15:47:07 GMT, figaro wrote:

The question: is it safe to move a 6 inch sarassa comet goldfish from a
very small outdoor pond (50gallon) to a larger 700 gallon pond when...

1-the larger pond is much colder and the fish are already hibernating?
2-the smaller pond fish are active and still feeding? I live in soCal

What is the temperature difference? ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 11-11-2004, 01:08 AM
figaro

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 15:47:07 GMT, figaro wrote:

The question: is it safe to move a 6 inch sarassa comet goldfish from a
very small outdoor pond (50gallon) to a larger 700 gallon pond when...

1-the larger pond is much colder and the fish are already hibernating?
2-the smaller pond fish are active and still feeding? I live in soCal

What is the temperature difference? ~ jan

I would guess about 15 degrees. After reading some books and listening to
the other's advice I decided to give it a try. I took a 5 gallon bucket,
half full with pond water and transfered the fish. I let the bucket sit in
the pond for about 45 minutes gradually adding some of the new pond's water
about every 5 minutes and aerating the bucket water by hand. The fish is
now happily playing with his 6 new friends after a full 24 hours in the new
pond. There was no evidence of any shock and he was exploring right out of
the bucket. Whew! This is one beautiful fish and his fins look twice as
long in this large pond. Thanks for everyone's help. He/she will have a
wonderful, long and happy life now.

Old 11-11-2004, 04:55 PM

anything more than a 4oF drop in temps over 24 hours or so will bring on ich. it has
to be done slowly. I have had a whole pond ich outbreak when the temp dropped
suddenly in fall. nasty. Ingrid

figaro wrote:

The question: is it safe to move a 6 inch sarassa comet goldfish from a
very small outdoor pond (50gallon) to a larger 700 gallon pond when...

1-the larger pond is much colder and the fish are already hibernating?
2-the smaller pond fish are active and still feeding?

I live in soCal and the owner of the large fish finally came to the
conclusion that his small pond is way overstocked and the likelihood of this
large and very beautiful fish surviving for much longer in an overstocked
tub are slim.

Thanks for your help.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 12-11-2004, 04:03 PM

yeah.. by 7 days will be fine. Ingrid

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:
Ingrid, in your experience, when do you think he can feel he dodged the ich
bullet? I'm guessing it will come on within the next 3 - 5 days. ~ jan

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 13-11-2004, 04:02 PM
figaro

Well we are going into day four and no signs of any problems. I sure hope
he makes it okay. I have 6 other really gorgeous sarassa comets in there
with him--the best looking fish I have ever owned. They are bright metalic
white with blood red markings and super clean edges. And they spawned
within a month of being introduced in late August despite the fact that they
are only two inches long. It would be ashame for the whole pond to come
down with ich.

I have learned so much from you guys. Thanks again for all the help. I'll
let you know if anything comes up. Fig.

One more question--what would you all recommend as a predatory fish to add
to the pond in spring to control the population. My water does not freeze
in winter but it does get down into the low 40's. I have no ability to set
up a tank indoors so it must be a hardy fish. Thanks.

Old 13-11-2004, 08:44 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 15:02:22 GMT, figaro wrote:

It would be ashame for the whole pond to come
down with ich.

It won't happen to the whole pond, just the one fish that got stressed.
Ich, to my understanding, is in the pond always.

One more question--what would you all recommend as a predatory fish to add
to the pond in spring to control the population.

It is better that you be the predator than a real one, as they will always
eat the prettiest ones. We have a local pet store that trades for credit
all the culls I don't give away or sell to club members. So you might one
to check around your area for such a place. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 15-11-2004, 03:39 AM
Crashj

On or about Sat, 13 Nov 2004 15:02:22 GMT, figaro
wrote something like:

One more question--what would you all recommend as a predatory fish to add
to the pond in spring to control the population.

Parents. Mammals aren't the only ones that eat their young, you know.
--
Crashj

Old 15-11-2004, 03:37 PM

figaro wrote:
One more question--what would you all recommend as a predatory fish to add
to the pond in spring to control the population. My water does not freeze
in winter but it does get down into the low 40's.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Adding nitrates without adding Ca, Mg or K Philippe Lemaire \(remove oldies\) Freshwater Aquaria Plants 34 19-01-2006 08:19 PM
Adding Water in Winter - Help JB Ponds 6 28-01-2005 05:06 PM
adding goldfish to pond in winter? figaro Ponds 0 09-11-2004 04:47 PM
Adding "other" critters to my pond? ppdavid Ponds 12 01-03-2004 03:03 AM
Adding "other" critters to my pond? ppdavid Ponds 0 13-02-2004 02:07 AM