GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Fish Colors Change Before Our Eyes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/86521-fish-colors-change-before-our-eyes.html)

Benign Vanilla 16-11-2004 05:30 PM

Fish Colors Change Before Our Eyes

A week or so ago, I noticed a pretty big goldie swimming around in the VF.
It was in the upper pond which tells me, it took a ride through the pump, so
it must have been very small when it arrived. It's now about 4 inches long.
Anyway, we rescued him/her yesterday as that part of the VF freezes solid
every year. When we brought him in he was distinctly black colored, as he
swam around in my SO's salad spinner. After letting the water warm a bit, I
dumped him into the aquarium. I noticed however over a few hours he changed
from distinctly black to a golden color.

I don't know if he is a goldie, koi or koidlie as he seems to have features
of all three. Either way, do goldies, koi or donkey koi/goldies change color
over hours?

BV.

Derek Broughton 16-11-2004 05:36 PM

Benign Vanilla wrote:

A week or so ago, I noticed a pretty big goldie swimming around in the VF.
It was in the upper pond which tells me, it took a ride through the pump,

That or it did the salmon thing, swimming up the waterfall.

When we brought him in he was distinctly black colored,
as he swam around in my SO's salad spinner.

eewww! I've gone right off salad.

After letting the water warm a
bit, I dumped him into the aquarium. I noticed however over a few hours he
changed from distinctly black to a golden color.

I don't know if he is a goldie, koi or koidlie as he seems to have
features of all three. Either way, do goldies, koi or donkey koi/goldies
change color over hours?

I can't say for sure about goldfish, but I've watched markings on many fish,
including koi, appear out of nowhere. Black pigments seem to be
particularly easy to turn on or off - though I'd normally expect the more
pigmented form to be the less stressed (sick fish often look very washed
out) but that seems to be the opposite of your case.
--
derek

george 16-11-2004 09:34 PM

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
Benign Vanilla wrote:

[...]

I've not seen it happen in hours in my goldfish or Koi, but my yellow tang in my
sal****er tank will become almost completely white after the lights go off.
Next day, when the lights come back on, he turns yellow again. Most likely a
defensive adaptation. I've always believed that goldfish being black at birth
and for a time afterward is a defensive adaptation. Many animals have this kind
of adaptation.

Benign Vanilla 17-11-2004 02:17 AM

"george" wrote in message
snip
I've not seen it happen in hours in my goldfish or Koi, but my yellow tang

in my
sal****er tank will become almost completely white after the lights go

off.
Next day, when the lights come back on, he turns yellow again. Most

likely a
defensive adaptation. I've always believed that goldfish being black at

birth
and for a time afterward is a defensive adaptation. Many animals have

this kind
of adaptation.

I have black goldie babes go gold, but I have never seen a fish change color
in hours. I swear I am not imagining this. Anyway he/she/it is swimming
around in the 55 gallon tank and the other fish seem to like he/she/it.

BV.

Hank 17-11-2004 10:49 PM

BV, Have you been practicing your patented method of planting again
?
( Without the plants this time of year ..... I guess)

--
My little puddle

http://www.geocities.com/hankpagel/hankspond1.html

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in
message ...

Barbara2245 20-11-2004 11:08 PM

"Hank" wrote in message
BV, Have you been practicing your patented method of planting again
?
( Without the plants this time of year ..... I guess)

snip

*hiccup*

BV.

The baby fish must be the Indigo Bunting of the water garden. They
have no blue ccolor but we seen the light reflected off the feathers
as blue. Just a thought and winter is yet to begin.

Benign Vanilla 23-11-2004 05:16 PM

"george" wrote in message
[...]

The dern thing was black again last night. I swear I have not been planting
any plants either.

BV.