Old 08-12-2004, 03:06 PM
Nick

Default winter feeding

When should I stop feeding my Gold fish? Everytime I walk past the pond,
they surface and watch me, expecting food. At this time of year there can be
very few flies, grubs etc for them to eat. I live in suburban London. The
average air temp is around 10 to 12 deg C

Nick

Old 08-12-2004, 04:49 PM
Ka30P

Hi Nick,

That converts to 50 degrees F on our
side of the pond so I'd say no. Wait until your temps stay above 13 degrees C
for the season. Reason being that fish can not produce their own heat like we
do (with our meals) and rely on their surrounding temperatures to raise their
body temperature. If they were to eat now their bodies aren't warm enough to
work so the food would just sit their in their tummies and that's not good.
They will nosh on any algae they find and that's okay.

kathy :-)
3000 gallon pond
800 gallon frog bog
home of the watergardening labradors
zone 7 SE WA state
Old 08-12-2004, 04:59 PM
John Hines

"Nick" wrote:

When should I stop feeding my Gold fish? Everytime I walk past the pond,
they surface and watch me, expecting food. At this time of year there can be
very few flies, grubs etc for them to eat. I live in suburban London. The
average air temp is around 10 to 12 deg C

When the food stops being eaten immediately. Any food fed needs to be
totally consumed within a few (like 5) minutes.

Old 08-12-2004, 07:26 PM
Phisherman

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 15:06:44 -0000, "Nick"
wrote:

When should I stop feeding my Gold fish? Everytime I walk past the pond,
they surface and watch me, expecting food. At this time of year there can be
very few flies, grubs etc for them to eat. I live in suburban London. The
average air temp is around 10 to 12 deg C

Nick

Either do not feed at all or a small amount. The fish's metabolism is
slow right now and they can live a long time without food. Be extra
careful about any uneaten food.

Koi winter feeding Mark Cable Ponds 10 15-12-2004 07:41 PM
Koi winter feeding Mark Cable Ponds 0 12-12-2004 03:35 PM
Lawn feeding in winter Drummerboy United Kingdom 3 09-12-2004 05:31 PM
Tree Root Feeding in Winter? Robert Olin Lawns 1 05-11-2003 04:32 AM
winter feeding fish *muffin* Ponds 4 18-10-2003 03:12 PM