Old 30-01-2003, 09:44 PM
MISSYMAGICGIRL

Default Confused about Predicting Spring

I have been trying to figure out what is the best time to start the spring
clean up, putting plants in and feeding. I live in NY Zone 5.

I know 50 degree's for feeding, but if the weather is around 50 ish but the
nights are near freezing, what do I do??

Pulling my hair out

Thanks,

Sacha

Old 30-01-2003, 10:25 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

MISSYMAGICGIRL wrote:
I have been trying to figure out what is the best time to start the spring
clean up, putting plants in and feeding. I live in NY Zone 5.

I know 50 degree's for feeding, but if the weather is around 50 ish but the
nights are near freezing, what do I do??

Pulling my hair out

Thanks,

Sacha

I usually wait until the local pond shops have their plants.
Then I figure it's safe for me to put mine out. For the
hardy plants, you can usually put these out as soon as they
are available. The tropicals should wait until your last
frost date.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 31-01-2003, 02:13 PM
BenignVanilla

"Bonnie Espenshade" wrote in message
snip
I usually wait until the local pond shops have their plants.
Then I figure it's safe for me to put mine out. For the
hardy plants, you can usually put these out as soon as they
are available. The tropicals should wait until your last
frost date.

snip

Local pond shops? Bonnie where do you live? I have NO pond shops near me.
*sigh*

BV.

Old 31-01-2003, 05:46 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

BenignVanilla wrote:
"Bonnie Espenshade" wrote in message
snip

I usually wait until the local pond shops have their plants.
Then I figure it's safe for me to put mine out. For the
hardy plants, you can usually put these out as soon as they
are available. The tropicals should wait until your last
frost date.

snip

Local pond shops? Bonnie where do you live? I have NO pond shops near me.
*sigh*

BV.

I live in a rural area of North West New Jersey, but I have
five pond shops I can drive to easily. More if I want to
travel. I guess I'm lucky.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 31-01-2003, 10:42 PM
mad

my 'local' pond shop is 4 hrs away in midland, tx.
mad
--
Funny, I don't remember being absentminded...

Old 04-02-2003, 12:44 AM
Paul in Redland

Wait 'till the WATER temp is consistently above 50 or even 55 b4 you start
to feed. Your fish won't starve.
Paul

Old 08-02-2003, 09:38 PM
MISSYMAGICGIRL

Thanks all!

Sacha
Old 09-02-2003, 12:22 AM
Gregory Young

Hi Sacha:
Average your daily temperature.. that is take the highest and lowest temps
each day (I use early morning and late afternoon), add them together and
divide by 2 to get your average. Do this for several days. Then, If your
average temperature remains above 50 or 55 degrees go ahead and feed.
I also live in Zone 5 in NY, near Buffalo. Where in NY do you live?
Happy ponding,
Greg

Old 09-02-2003, 04:05 PM
Gregory Young

Hi Mike:
I tend to go with you, but in fairness to others, it is much easier for me
to decide when to start/stop feeding with all the really cold weather we
get. There's little question when you live here...
If fed properly with good quality foodstuff, your fish will go into "winter"
fine. They will live off stored fats all winter. In fact mine grow over
winter (not a great deal, but measurable) without any supplemental feeds.
There's really no need to add to the bioload, esp. during times when the
food may not be properly assimilated by the fish to begin with.
There should be enough easy to digest algae, etc in the pond for the fish to
consume, during the time the temperatures are fluctuating.
I see mine nibbling on the algae on the sides of the pond, under the ice, at
times.
Happy ponding,
Greg

--

"MLF" wrote in message

"Gregory Young" wrote:
Average your daily temperature.. If your average temperature
remains above 50 or 55 degrees go ahead and feed.

I am always in a conundrum. In Zone 8B/9A my pond has never gotten below
48 degF. It's often too cold to feed, but some days it gets up to 55 for
a week or so and then down to 50.

I figure once the fish go into their winter torpor, it's best to just
let them ride it out until things warm up for good. I certainly don't
feed them on warm days and starve them on cold ones. As soon as the
average temp is 55 degF for a week, I'll start feeding them again.

Michael Fermanis

New Orleans, Louisiana USA (Remove the RICE to reply)

Are my plants confused?? Elguapo Australia 3 17-07-2003 03:16 AM
confused novice Unregistered Bamboo 4 29-04-2003 05:09 PM
Confused about CO2 Kit "Sizes" Iain Miller Freshwater Aquaria Plants 9 20-04-2003 06:12 AM
For Radika and whoever else was confused by attbi's mess... Allegra Roses 2 05-02-2003 11:36 PM
Soil pH...I am totally confused jo United Kingdom 5 24-11-2002 11:12 PM