Old 19-12-2004, 03:41 AM
Newbie Bill

Default Topping off pond

Hi all - I didnt really think twice about this is the summer, but should I
be concerned about the temp of the hose water being quite different from the
pond. The hose water is about 68 and currently the pond is 52, but
obviously it will get lower.

Also my pond is only about two feet when full. Is this too shallow for the
bottom water to be warmer, ie - will topping off affect the temp in the long
run.
Thanxx
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

Old 19-12-2004, 05:06 AM
Gail Futoran

"Newbie Bill" wrote in message
m...
Hi all - I didnt really think twice about this is the summer, but should I
be concerned about the temp of the hose water being quite different from
the pond. The hose water is about 68 and currently the pond is 52, but
obviously it will get lower.

Also my pond is only about two feet when full. Is this too shallow for
the bottom water to be warmer, ie - will topping off affect the temp in
the long run.
Thanxx
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

I recently topped off my in-ground pond that's only
about 18" deep using tap water and didn't bother
checking the relative temperatures. Since I wasn't
adding that much I didn't worry about it, but then
I only have minnows in there.

In previous years I have topped off my stock tank
ponds without being concerned overly much about
temperature differences, but I usually don't add
more than about 10% at one time (more when I'm
doing partial water changes). So far I haven't
killed off any goldfish or minnows, that I've noticed.

I believe 2' is deep enough for layering to occur.
But how much of a temperature difference would
depend on a lot of factors, such as whether the
pond is below ground level or above, etc.

Gail
just east of San Antonio TX

Old 19-12-2004, 09:50 PM
MWLienhart

Hi--have had a little experience in using well water to top off ponds and do 10
to 30% water changes, but in much more extreame conditions (zone 5 MI). The
temperature differences you are talking about are really quite minor for just
"topping off". The air temp swings of over 50F in this area with fairly wide
water temp swings in the same 24 hours rarely have much effect on the pond
other than to slow it down so feeding and the like need to be slowed too. As
far as the water stratification is concerned--not in 2 feet of water. Takes
much deeper water in calm circumstances to do that.
Old 21-12-2004, 06:48 AM
Newbie Bill

Thanks for your replies.