GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   turbid water (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/87890-turbid-water.html)

Copepod 17-12-2004 07:02 PM

turbid water

Problem with turbidity in a wild life pond. No fish, not even small ones,
are in the pond.

I have been monitoring the microscopic life over the last few years and have
been very disappointed over the last 6-9 months as the water has become very
turbid due to the presence of bacteria. I am unable to tell which as they
are two small to see even under x1000 oi examination. The bacteria are
suspended in the water at most depths and are separate and spherical rather
than in strings.

The pond is not overhung by trees and so decaying leaves have probably not
caused the problem.

Any ideas as to how the bacteria are doing so well?

To sum up: no fish polluting water;
no decaying leaves;
very little of interest to see apart from bacteriophages
such as Vorticella.

Any suggestions please?

Robert