Old 09-01-2005, 10:03 PM
Stephen Henning

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:

What is the current status of your pond?

Cold and wet.

I am getting some duck weed, but I think I like it since there is
something bright green growing on the bottom, and I fear it is string
algae. I haven't brought any up to look at yet. I figure the duck weed
will help filter nutrients and provide shade to help check any algae.
Then in the spring I can screen out most of the duck weed.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 09-01-2005, 10:04 PM
~ Windsong ~

"Phisherman" wrote in message
This week I cleaned out the dead water hyacinths and skimmed off the
azola. This made a 4-foot mound of compost material. The level of
the pond has been lowered one foot in preparation of removing elodea
which has taken over the pond (I'll need waders to do the job).
Seems like I have to constantly deal with overgrown plants! The water
lilys, planted 4 years ago, are doing well. Clearing off the pond I
can finally see some fish. It is a peaceful pond with the frogs in
hibernation. (E. TN)

======================
You need a few koi in your pond. Elodea doesn't stand a chance in my ponds.
--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
"Completely FREE softwa

Old 09-01-2005, 10:18 PM
Nedra

The snow has finally melted from the netting on the pond ~ up to 55 degrees
tomorrow.
Pond guy had installed a heavier netting this time with bamboo uprights
making a tent.
The fish were nice and cozy under it. No ice to speak of. The bubblers
were pumping air like crazy.
The lotus pond has a small pump submerged ... going great guns.
Everything seems to be fine!

Nedra in Missouri
zone 6

Lotus Garden:
Backyard Pond:

Old 09-01-2005, 11:07 PM
Ka30P

Covered in snow!
With a nice hole kept open by the air pump and bubbler. We have about
five inches of snow on the ground.
The watercress froze in the ice and now is covered by snow but I bet it will
recover just fine come spring.
So far no kingfisher has shown up that I have noticed. A ponding friend had a
blue heron standing on her roof the other day.
The band is practicing downstairs, there's a fire in the firesplace and my
youngest is out practicing driving in the snow with Dad.

kathy

Old 09-01-2005, 11:19 PM
Bonnie

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:

What is the current status of your pond?

My pond has no ice now - what was there melted. The
goldfish and orfe are showing themselves occasionally
but the koi are staying down.
--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 09-01-2005, 11:30 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Covered in snow!
With a nice hole kept open by the air pump and bubbler. We have about
five inches of snow on the ground.

Have the watergardening Labs tried to do any ice skating this year?
~ jan
~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 10-01-2005, 12:21 AM
RichToyBox

The record and near record warmth that we have had since the first, has
warmed the ponds up to the 70 degree mark so the heaters went off. Saving a
few dollars a day right now. The fish eat voraciously twice a day. The
taro are growing and the hyacynths are surviving. Strange weather this
year. Christmas was several degrees below normal, and this year running
between 20 and 30 degrees above normal.
--
RichToyBox
Zone 7a/b
"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
What is the current status of your pond?

The screens have 4" of snow on them, but with my wireless thermometer I
can
see that the water is liquid, I can also "hear" the water moving... but
that requires going "outside".... like brrrrr!

I haven't even gone up and looked at the lily pond, maybe I'll do that
today. I'm hoping the fact I floated milk jugs on it that they are holding
the shade cloth off the surface of the water. ~ jan

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website