GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Winter set up & algae problems. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/88562-winter-set-up-algae-problems.html)

G & K Meyer 10-01-2005 12:56 AM

Winter set up & algae problems.

We run one of our pumps all winter into the pond. Is there a better way like
a air pump? Advantage & disadvantage?
Also we struggle with algae each year. Sometime more than other on the
rocks of the falls mostly.
Our set up is that we run 3 pumps all summer 2 to the upper falls and
one to the low water features this one also has a uv light on it.
1000-1200gal pond. Have about 10 fish, and about as many plants.

You can see what we have at the following web page.

http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=65zgxlu...my&x=1&y=havy9

Thanks for your Ideas on what we can do to make our pond set up better.

Greg &/or Kellie Meyer

~ Windsong ~ 10-01-2005 01:56 AM

"G & K Meyer" wrote in message
We run one of our pumps all winter into the pond. Is there a better way

like
a air pump? Advantage & disadvantage?

Air pumps wear out so fast and finding replacement flappers can be a real
problem. I find the flappers go before the diaphragms. I use small $10 -
$15 water pumps in my ponds in the winter. They keep the an opening in the
ice and last for several years. In summer they're used as filters for the
150 gallon kiddy pools?
--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
Completely FREE softwa