Old 01-02-2003, 05:35 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Default My Bad Fish Luck Continues Guys.

Well guys, the Koi gods must not like me because I use that word in my name
or something.

91 degrees outside today, so I went out to my pond to visit my pond and Koi.
The main pond had emptied because of a clog in my bio-filter.

But that was half my problem.

Went to my larger pond, I was worried about one of my beautiful Koi. He/she
is about 18 inches long, ogon with gold markings. It was sitting at the
bottom of the pond with it's fin clamped to it's side. Anyway, took it out
and went to the local pond gurus! The thing had ulcer on it's tails, fins,
etc. Had to put it to sleep. What a bummer!

I also have perhaps the most beautiful Sanke alive, about 18-20 inches long
with some fin problems, it kind of favors one of it's fins. I have to catch
it tomorrow and see what the problem is. This unreal California summer in
winter weather and the stress of Koi-ing really really bites!

I'll let you know how the other Koi are doing after close examination
tomorrow.

--
_______________________________________
"Architecture is the ultimate erotic 'object'."

Old 01-02-2003, 01:43 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

That is too bad. Hurts to lose fish you like.

Bummer.

Let us know how the others do.

Jim
Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 02-02-2003, 10:48 PM

what is the temp of the pond? it sounds like it is heat activated. what are your
water parameters? Ingrid

91 degrees outside today,

Old 03-02-2003, 03:41 AM
Just Me \Koi\

All the water quality parameters are perfect, except for a bit of algae
bloom.

Air temperature was 94, down to 80s today. Water temp was over 70s.

The vet and my local Koi guru said it was the end result of my fluke
infestation. That after I have effectively eradicated the flukes, the bad
bugs in the water got under the fish's skin, and turned to ulcer.

I was bummed out Friday night, but the events of Saturday morning with the
space shuttle has put everything in perspective for me.

Thanks.

--
_______________________________________

wrote in message
what is the temp of the pond? it sounds like it is heat activated. what

are your
water parameters? Ingrid

91 degrees outside today,

Old 03-02-2003, 02:26 PM
Sam Hopkins

No way to medicate it?

wrote in message
what is the temp of the pond? it sounds like it is heat activated.

what
are your
water parameters? Ingrid

91 degrees outside today,

Old 03-02-2003, 03:05 PM
Lee Brouillet

You're having the same problems I had last Spring: first a fluke
infestation, then secondary losses to ulcers, not to mention bad advice from
"experts" that should have known better (none from this site, local folks!).
The best thing I can recommend to you at this point is to get some
Lymnozyme - I don't sell it, this isn't an ad: the stuff competes for the
same nutrients that the aeromonas/pseudomonas bacteria (your ULCER bacteria)
use, only they do it better and starve out the "bad" bacteria. Use the stuff
like it says to do for initial treatments: it's safe, you can even double
dose if you want to. Use it regularly and you'll never have ulcer disease
again. The bottle MUST be kept refrigerated at all times: if you buy a warm
bottle, it's no good.

It's a shame you had to euthanize your fish: this stuff will help to heal
them, if it's not too far gone. It's what got my fish over all their
problems last Spring. Let me know if you need more info, and good luck.

Lee

wrote in message
what is the temp of the pond? it sounds like it is heat activated.

what
are your
water parameters? Ingrid

91 degrees outside today,

Old 04-02-2003, 02:32 AM
Just Me \Koi\

No, I had it put to sleep. Nasty looking ulcer at the tail, bulge in the
tail, hole under the anal fin, and sore all around the mouth!

--
_______________________________________
"Architecture is the ultimate erotic 'object'."
Bernard Tschumi, "Architecture & Transgression"

"Sam Hopkins" wrote in message
.. .
No way to medicate it?

wrote in message
what is the temp of the pond? it sounds like it is heat activated.

what
are your
water parameters? Ingrid

91 degrees outside today,

Old 04-02-2003, 02:34 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Thanks Lee, this is exactly what I have done, the Lmnozyme thingy! What a
horrible smelling thing!

Thanks again all.

--
_______________________________________

wrote in message
what is the temp of the pond? it sounds like it is heat activated.

what
are your
water parameters? Ingrid

91 degrees outside today,

Old 04-02-2003, 06:07 AM

that is classic columnaris. usually comes in as a secondary to parasites like flukes
or costia. Ingrid

Old 04-02-2003, 06:24 AM

all ulcers are apparently caused by bacteria. not all bacteria causing ulcers are
aeromonas.
before the ulcers there were parasites damaging the slime coat so the bacteria get in
under the slime coat, OR, mechanical damage from spawning. good to keep spawning
mats in the pond, good to have some salt in the pond to stimulate slime coat, and in
spring when water temps get over 55oF all my koi get antibiotic food for the first
couple of weeks as parasites and bacteria wake up. It takes 10 days of above 55oF
water before the immune system of koi comes online. Ingrid

Old 04-02-2003, 02:23 PM
Lee Brouillet

Isn't it *nasty*??? Just stand with the wind to your back when you put it in
the pond G. My hubby had a hard time believing that something that
smelled like that would be living in the 'fridge with the food. Oh well, he
got over it! But it works . . . and that's all that matters. Good luck.

Lee

wrote in message
what is the temp of the pond? it sounds like it is heat activated.

what
are your
water parameters? Ingrid

91 degrees outside today,