GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Stange worm (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/88962-stange-worm.html)

Newbie Bill 19-01-2005 09:51 PM

Stange worm

I was just out at my little kiddie, still water pond and fished out a very
strange little worm. It was 3 to 4 inches long, round, but it was
extremely thin-hardly wider than a healthy alfafa sprout. It seemed to be
trying to move by doubling back and forth, kind of like a snake, but not as
gracefully. I don't care much except for minor concerns it might be some
sort of parasite. I do have a couple of small feeder size comets in there.
Any ideas?
Thanxx
Bill

kathy 20-01-2005 12:53 AM

Sounds like a horsehair worm
http://ihmp.net/@/yw

Has a rather unique life cycle!

kathy

Newbie Bill 20-01-2005 01:01 AM

Well I'll content myself thats all it is (or at least harmless) although
this ONE I saw seem much thinner so that it was difficult to see hardly any
texture. It seriously was about the thickness of the anchor roots on
anacharis. Maybe it was on a diet:)
Thanxx
Bill

ups.com...

~ Windsong ~ 20-01-2005 03:19 AM

"Newbie Bill" wrote in message
. com...
Well I'll content myself thats all it is (or at least harmless) although
this ONE I saw seem much thinner so that it was difficult to see hardly

any
texture. It seriously was about the thickness of the anchor roots on
anacharis. Maybe it was on a diet:)
Thanxx

I've seen these worms in my filters. I don't believe they bother the fish.
--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
http://www.heartoftn.net/users/windsong/index.html