Old 03-02-2003, 03:52 PM

Default Catfish For Food

HI Jack I have a 1/3 of an acre pond which was stocked with 200 Channel Cats
last spring along with bream the year before.
I lost about 15 cats lso that I know of so still have quite a few left until
summer when I start eating them. They were 4 to 6 inches when purchased and
now are up to 15 inches long. I have had no problem with them eating my frogs
that live around my pond. Check out www.pondboss.com and go to "Ask the Boss"
and you will find out all kind of information as far as stocking rates for
ponds. Have fun.

Bob in North Alabama

Jack Schmidling wrote:

I have a small pond of about 2000 sqft surface that we have considerd a frog
haven up to this point. The only fish we allow are minows to control
mosquitoes.

I am getting the itch to raise some catfish for an occasional dinner and am
having trouble finding info on the subject. Other than how and what and
where to get them... I am not sure to what extent catfish eat frogs or
tadpoles. As basically bottom feeders, I assume they could survive
together.

We live in Norther Illinois, BTW.

Any thoughts?

js

--
PHOTO OF THE WEEK http://schmidling.netfirms.com/weekly.htm
HOME: Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Sausage, Videos

Old 03-02-2003, 10:37 PM
MLF

wrote:
HI Jack I have a 1/3 of an acre pond which was stocked with 200
Channel Cats last spring along with bream the year before.
They were 4 to 6 inches when purchased and now are up to 15
inches long....
Check out www.pondboss.com and go to "Ask the Boss"
and you will find out all kind of information as far as stocking
rates for ponds. Have fun.

Bob:

I seriously considered creating a commercial catfish pond a few years
ago. Unfortunately I made the fatal mistake of reading up on the subject
before I made a decision. The information led me to believe that it was
very risky business since so many things can go wrong and ruin you
overnight. What's your experience?

Michael Fermanis
New Orleans, Louisiana USA (Remove the RICE to reply)