Old 03-02-2003, 09:50 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Landscaping Around Ponds

I usually keep all my water based questions limited to rec.ponds. I thought
I would ask my around water based question here in alt.garden.pond.chat, but
I was naughty too and cross posted to rec.ponds. Hope I don't get flamed to
badly.

Anyway...

What kind of issues did you think about as you landscaped AROUND your pond?
and in the area of the pond? I have seen a few in my area that are
beautiful, but they're just plopped into the backyard environment. I am
trying to take some time to make sure my pond follows the grade of the yard
and the look of the yard so that it appears to be part of the yard, not
dropped in.

Any thoughts?

--
BenignVanilla
tibetanbeefgarden.com

Remove MY SPLEEN to email me.

Old 04-02-2003, 04:57 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Maybe people will flame you. It seems to me that cross-posting is not a
problem and is indeed healthy. Open and welcoming communities (open systems
with some structure) get new input and keep order. Rigid, closed systems
must use only internal resources...bad in the long run. If we are open to
alt.garden.pond.chat, our system gets input from that source, or maybe
becomes a workable, larger system including that site. Nutshell: Post away
on garden.chat and bring us the fruit of your learning.

Ponders of the world unite.

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net
"BenignVanilla" wrote in
message ...

Old 04-02-2003, 06:44 PM
Steve Jackson

In message , BenignVanilla
writes
I usually keep all my water based questions limited to rec.ponds. I thought
I would ask my around water based question here in alt.garden.pond.chat, but
I was naughty too and cross posted to rec.ponds. Hope I don't get flamed to
badly.

Could you give me the full address for rec.ponds please?
--
Steve Jackson
Old 04-02-2003, 10:37 PM
Sam Hopkins

Some ways:

One way is use rock from your neighborhood around, near and in your pond. If
you dont want to haul huge amounts of rock you could build artificial rock
and match the color and texture. I've seen people go to home depot and
purchase rocks from other areas that dont appear in their natural
surrounding. To me this makes it look out of place. Imagine how out of place
a pond in Pennsylvania would be if I build artificial rock colored and
textured like rock from Arizona. It'd stand out like a sore thumb. Now if I
made my artificial rock look like fractured sandstone commonly found in
Pennsylvania it'd look natural.

Dont have a single line of rocks around the parameter of your pond. You dont
want to wind up with the look of a circle of rocks with water in the middle
but rather a pile of rocks that happen to have collected around a water
hole. Place rocks of the same type ALL OVER your back yard to tie in the
pond to the general surroundings.

When building water features you want 1/3 plants, 1/3 rocks, 1/3 water
feature (i.e. waterfall). Too much of one will draw from the other and over
power.

Everyone likes waterfalls but having a waterfall start in the middle of your
yard up on a pile of rock doesn't happen in nature. If you want it to look
natural build your pond into a bank and have the water flow down the bank so
it'll look like it started somewhere else and is merely flowing down into
your pond. Using this method takes away the "starting from thin air" feeling
that most waterfalls have.

Sam

"BenignVanilla" wrote in
message ...

Old 04-02-2003, 10:51 PM
BenignVanilla

"Steve Jackson" wrote in message
In message , BenignVanilla
writes

Old 15-02-2003, 08:39 AM
~ jan

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 15:50:09 -0500, "BenignVanilla" wrote:

I usually keep all my water based questions limited to rec.ponds. I thought
I would ask my around water based question here in alt.garden.pond.chat, but
I was naughty too and cross posted to rec.ponds. Hope I don't get flamed to
badly.

Who would flame you for that?

Anyway...
What kind of issues did you think about as you landscaped AROUND your pond?
and in the area of the pond?

To Self: I can't believe you were stupid enough to dig ANOTHER pond. I
can't believe you're leveling every paving brick, one by one, perfectly. I
can't believe you talk other people into doing this too, with such
enthusiasm! You must be insane and need to be committed or something?
Perhaps more fiber in the diet would help this problem?

And that's what I thought about. ) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 20-02-2003, 05:03 PM
mad

all right--show of hands needed he how many of us hear voices when we
garden/pond? mine is up and waving... LOL
mad
--
I can't remember if I'm the good twin or the evil one.

From: "BenignVanilla"
Newsgroups: alt.garden.pond.chat,rec.ponds
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 09:31:11 -0500
Subject: Landscaping Around Ponds

"~ jan" wrote in message
snip
To Self: I can't believe you were stupid enough to dig ANOTHER pond. I
can't believe you're leveling every paving brick, one by one, perfectly. I
can't believe you talk other people into doing this too, with such
enthusiasm! You must be insane and need to be committed or something?
Perhaps more fiber in the diet would help this problem?

And that's what I thought about. ) ~ jan

snip

So I am not the only one that hears voices when they are working in the
yard. Good to know.

BV.

Old 20-02-2003, 05:03 PM

Up high and just broke ground on a new pond 20 X 12 X 3 Ft deep to feed 2
streams into my 1/3 acre pond gotta move some Koi out of the1000 gallon pond in
the greenhouse getting to big since they get fed year around in their heated
abode!

Bob

Old 20-02-2003, 06:04 PM
Nedra

I just simply talk to myself. How else am I going to get the
right answers? lol ;*)

Nedra

From: "BenignVanilla"

Newsgroups: alt.garden.pond.chat,rec.ponds

Old 20-02-2003, 08:08 PM
John Rutz

mad wrote:
all right--show of hands needed he how many of us hear voices when we
garden/pond? mine is up and waving... LOL
mad

I just wish they'd agree hate arguements It confuses me
--
John Rutz

I'm not Porg am not am not am so
see my pond at:
http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 20-02-2003, 09:04 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Nedra wrote:
I just simply talk to myself. How else am I going to get the
right answers? lol ;*)

Nedra

You're not talking to yourself, you're talking to the plants
and fish - at least that's what I tell anyone who happens to
over hear me talking.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 21-02-2003, 07:53 AM
Lee Brouillet

Well, I don't hear voices, but I DO talk to myself . . . sometimes it's my
only opportunity for an intelligent conversation G!

Lee

Old 21-02-2003, 04:03 PM
Glenn S.

"You're just jealous because the voices talk to me"

gds
Harpers Ferry, WV
Popup camper FOR SALE -- http://ICanHelp56.homestead.com/Camper001.html
Ponds -- http://ICanHelp56.homestead.com