GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   To feed or not to feed... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/90876-feed-not-feed.html)

Elaine T 13-03-2005 10:17 AM

To feed or not to feed...

I just released my five gold white clouds into one of my half-barrels
from their quarantine. (Good luck, little fishies!) There's papyrus,
azolla, cambomba, egeria, and frogbit in there. The single mosquito
fish in the other two barrels have been going lean and mean, since I
know hungry live bearers will eat soft plants just fine and I want them
eating any stray insect larvae. Do I need to feed the 5 white clouds or
will they find enough to eat between plants and insects landing on the
water?

I'm just starting quarantine on the first shubunkin and I'm quite sure
that little piglet will need extra food. He was barely used to the
quarantine tank and already trying to eat the clump of java moss I put
in with him for cover. Sheesh! I haven't kept goldfish since I was a
child and I'd forgotten how much they can eat.

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Reel McKoi 13-03-2005 05:53 PM

"Elaine T" wrote in message
m...
I just released my five gold white clouds into one of my half-barrels
from their quarantine. (Good luck, little fishies!) There's papyrus,
azolla, cambomba, egeria, and frogbit in there. The single mosquito
fish in the other two barrels have been going lean and mean, since I
know hungry live bearers will eat soft plants just fine and I want them
eating any stray insect larvae. Do I need to feed the 5 white clouds or
will they find enough to eat between plants and insects landing on the
water?

# I would feed them at least once a day. A 1/2 barrel isn't likely to
produce enough insect life for that many fish.

I'm just starting quarantine on the first shubunkin and I'm quite sure
that little piglet will need extra food. He was barely used to the
quarantine tank and already trying to eat the clump of java moss I put
in with him for cover. Sheesh! I haven't kept goldfish since I was a
child and I'd forgotten how much they can eat.

# That's because goldfish get quite large, as pet fish go. They're not
small fish. If you're going to keep 7 fish in your barrel you will probably
need some type of aeration.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
"To persevere in one's duty and

Elaine T 13-03-2005 08:40 PM

Reel McKoi wrote:
"Elaine T" wrote in message
m...

[...]

Oh - it's gonna be 3 barrels linked together by spillways with a filter
and pump. I'm almost done building the spillways and there will be
plenty of splash to oxygenate everything. I'll have about 60-70 gallons
total volume circulating through the 3 barrel system.

White clouds are tiny things, so I'm not too worried about them as far
as oxygen goes at the moment but thankyouverymuch for the feeding info.
They'll be in the top barrel with a basket around the spillway to keep
them there. (Still gotta build that.)

Once I get the pump going and finish quarantines, there will be two
shubunkins in the middle barrel so they have some company and the lower
barrel will have only the one Gambusia I already put there (plus all her
offspring).

So total planned fishlife in 60-70 filtered, aerated gallons will be
2 Gambusia (plus offspring - they gave me females)
5 white clouds 'cause I really like that fish
2 shubunkins

Sound reasonable? I know the shubunkins may be cramped for swimming
room in the barrels when they get to full size, but I've already asked
and LFS will happily take back big ones and trade me for small.

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Reel McKoi 13-03-2005 09:24 PM

"Elaine T" wrote in message
om...
Reel McKoi wrote:
"Elaine T" wrote in message
m...

[...]

$$ You're going to love it! :-)) I had the same set up and kept 2
goldfish and a few pond plants in each barrel. But because of the new
Gazebo we have to dismantle the barrels this year. They're not in the sun
now. Last summer the plants didn't do well at all. Because they need to
be near electricity I'm not sure if we're going to set them up again this
summer.

White clouds are tiny things, so I'm not too worried about them as far
as oxygen goes at the moment but thankyouverymuch for the feeding info.
They'll be in the top barrel with a basket around the spillway to keep
them there. (Still gotta build that.)

$$ Those black stiff plastic meshlike pots work wonders for such things.
:-) You can also use them as filters.

Once I get the pump going and finish quarantines, there will be two
shubunkins in the middle barrel so they have some company and the lower
barrel will have only the one Gambusia I already put there (plus all her
offspring).

So total planned fishlife in 60-70 filtered, aerated gallons will be
2 Gambusia (plus offspring - they gave me females)
5 white clouds 'cause I really like that fish
2 shubunkins

Sound reasonable? I know the shubunkins may be cramped for swimming
room in the barrels when they get to full size, but I've already asked
and LFS will happily take back big ones and trade me for small.

$$ Yes, that sounds great! You're really going to enjoy your setup. Each
year I remove the shubunkins and replace them with small young fish. That's
not a problem for us since I breed them behind the house in kiddy pools.
They help make this a more or less self-supporting hobby.

~ jan JJsPond.us 13-03-2005 09:35 PM

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 19:40:12 GMT, Elaine T wrote:

So total planned fishlife in 60-70 filtered, aerated gallons will be
2 Gambusia (plus offspring - they gave me females)
5 white clouds 'cause I really like that fish
2 shubunkins

Sound reasonable?

Sounds perfect!!! :o) ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Elaine T 14-03-2005 10:39 AM

Reel McKoi wrote:

$$ You're going to love it! :-)) I had the same set up and kept 2
goldfish and a few pond plants in each barrel. But because of the new
Gazebo we have to dismantle the barrels this year. They're not in the sun
now. Last summer the plants didn't do well at all. Because they need to
be near electricity I'm not sure if we're going to set them up again this
summer.

Cool! I'm already liking the barrels, even without the pump going.

$$ Those black stiff plastic meshlike pots work wonders for such things.
:-) You can also use them as filters.

That's EXACTLY what I had in mind - you suggested it earlier. The big
12" square ones make nifty plant shelves too, sturdy enough for smaller
marginals. I cut one in half in a contour to fit the barrel side, cut
swim-through holes into it, and flipped it over to get a combination
plant shelf and fish cave. This morning, a couple of white clouds swam
out of one so I guess it works. :-)

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__