Old 04-02-2003, 03:52 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Default spring experiment ...and ur experiments

John,

Thoughts on your experiment: I am wondering about the rate of flow issue
for your bog. Sufficient time in filter and slow motion rate to permit
sedimentation are, as I remember, crucial. Let us know how it works out.

Our experiments: We too are experimenting.

Slow flow through four resevoirs: We are going to run the water very
slowly through the barrel, three pond sequence on the left side of the berm.
The goal is a flow of about 45 minutes through each 150 gal pond i.e. about
200 gal/hr). That will give mechanical sedimentary/root filter time and
plant-root-nutrient-gathering time.

Faster circulatory flow through two barrels, the long berm pond and the
falls: We will run the other side of the berm (300 gal, long pond) at a
higher rate to permit the filter to give us a substantial turn over of water
for the falls and the main pond (aeration/circulation). In essence, this
gives a filter/sediment process separate from the circulation process.

Screening for particulate matter: We are also going to try screen in the
three barrel filters to see if it will remove particulates better than the
present strapping tape.

Keep us posted on your experiment and we will try to do the same for ours.

We are about a month away from the turn of season here in MS. We are two
months from the last frost date. Clear water, dead plants for the next 6
weeks.

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net
"John Rutz" wrote in message

this spring Im going to try an experiment with my ponds Im taking the
biomechanical barell filters off line and running the water directly
from the Koi Pond into the bog thereby useing the bog as bio filter
settlment tank etc
we will see how that works with the spring algae bloom I think at this
point it will as some of the plants are already starting to grow and the
winter green water is clearing

--
John Rutz

I'm not Porg am not am not am so
see my pond at:
http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 04-02-2003, 08:49 PM
John Rutz

Phyllis and Jim Hurley wrote:
John,

Thoughts on your experiment: I am wondering about the rate of flow issue
for your bog. Sufficient time in filter and slow motion rate to permit
sedimentation are, as I remember, crucial. Let us know how it works out.

I think it will do ok I had basicaly the same rate last summer but with
th barel filters of course I cheat some my bog is 25 x 25 ft so with
over 100 plants so things slow down somewhat going through it

sni[
Keep us posted on your experiment and we will try to do the same for ours.

We are about a month away from the turn of season here in MS. We are two
months from the last frost date. Clear water, dead plants for the next 6
weeks.

Jim

I will