GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Settling Tank Design (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/91358-settling-tank-design.html)

[email protected] 23-03-2005 07:38 PM

Settling Tank Design

Anyone have any advice for a design for a settling tank? I was
planning on using a 75 gallon rubermaid stock tank. I will be pulling
water from a retrofit bottom drain and a retrofit skimmer and the pump
Im using is a cimmaron. What do you think?

~ jan JJsPond.us 24-03-2005 12:23 AM

On 23 Mar 2005 11:38:25 -0800, wrote:

Anyone have any advice for a design for a settling tank? I was
planning on using a 75 gallon rubermaid stock tank. I will be pulling
water from a retrofit bottom drain and a retrofit skimmer and the pump
Im using is a cimmaron. What do you think?

I use a 55 gallon drum/barrel, water comes in on the side at the bottom and
up thru vinyl screen before it passes on to the bio-chambers. Can be seen
under *My Filter* at:
www.jjspond.us ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Hal 25-03-2005 03:03 PM

On 23 Mar 2005 11:38:25 -0800, wrote:

Anyone have any advice for a design for a settling tank? I was
planning on using a 75 gallon rubermaid stock tank. I will be pulling
water from a retrofit bottom drain and a retrofit skimmer and the pump
Im using is a cimmaron. What do you think?

I'm using a 55 gallon barrel connected to 4" gravity flow from the
bottom drain comes into the barrel about center. I made a baffle
from wood to give the flow a spin clockwise and used a sheet of
plastic about 20"x30" to cover the exit hole which is about the same
height as the entrance hole. The sheet of plastic has a piece of
wood attached to keep a hole open at the top so the water follows the
sheet around the barrel and over the top of the plastic sheet edge.
Doesn't catch everything, but works better than nothing.

I didn't really plan this, It sort of evolved and the nasty part is I
use a shop vac to clean out the bottom of the barrels.

Regards,

Hal