Old 23-03-2005, 09:00 PM
dkat

Default Snow finally melted and fish still alive!

This winter was so strange (no snow and warm most of the winter and then
snow storm on top of snow storm). I neglected putting in my airstone to
keep my pond open when it was so warm and then the first storm hit with so
much snow it was impossible to do anything at all. So for the entire month
of February and then most of March my pond was completely iced over and
covered in snow. I was expecting all of my koi to have died. Yesterday it
was 50 and sunny. I went outside barefoot, turned on the pump and watch the
ice crack as the water dropped from one pond and rose in the upper. Then I
saw my fish alive and well. Today it is snowing. It is spring isn't it?

http://www.ofoto.com/ShareLandingSig...%3Dtrue &Ux=0

I doubt this will work but here is a link.

Old 24-03-2005, 12:14 AM
news groups

dkat wrote:
This winter was so strange (no snow and warm most of the winter and then
snow storm on top of snow storm). I neglected putting in my airstone to
keep my pond open when it was so warm and then the first storm hit with so
much snow it was impossible to do anything at all. So for the entire month
of February and then most of March my pond was completely iced over and
covered in snow. I was expecting all of my koi to have died. Yesterday it
was 50 and sunny. I went outside barefoot, turned on the pump and watch the
ice crack as the water dropped from one pond and rose in the upper. Then I
saw my fish alive and well. Today it is snowing. It is spring isn't it?

http://www.ofoto.com/ShareLandingSig...%3Dtrue &Ux=0

I doubt this will work but here is a link.

What a beautiful pond!!!!!
Thanks for sharing!
And where are you?
W. Dale
Old 24-03-2005, 12:26 AM
dkat

Thank you. I'm on Long Island (in the middle of the Island on the
Northend - by the University of NY Stony Brook). And you?

Old 24-03-2005, 01:14 AM
kathy

The pictures work and they are all REALLY NICE!!
Nice to see them and get through these early spring
days.

kathy :-)

Old 24-03-2005, 01:20 AM
dkat

"kathy" wrote in message
ups.com...
The pictures work and they are all REALLY NICE!!
Nice to see them and get through these early spring
days.

kathy :-)

Thank you, yes I am most definitely READY for spring. It is nice to look at
some of my old pictures and be reminded that in early June the entire world
will change to green. Hard to believe right now....

Old 24-03-2005, 03:28 PM
news groups

dkat wrote:

[...]

Northeast Colorado Springs, CO. Today is simply gorgeous this morning!
Very deep blue sky, sunshine, and the forecast looks like this:
Today: A 20 percent chance of showers after noon. Partly cloudy, with a
high around 50. North northwest wind between 5 and 10 mph.

Tonight: A chance of rain showers before 8pm, then a chance of snow
showers. Cloudy, with a low around 25. East northeast wind between 3 and
5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2
inches possible.

Friday: A 30 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high
around 36. South southeast wind between 5 and 15 mph. New snow
accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Friday Night: A 40 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a
low near 23. South southeast wind 7 to 13 mph becoming north northeast.

Saturday: A 50 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a
high around 34. North wind between 15 and 18 mph.

Saturday Night: A 30 percent chance of snow showers before 3am. Partly
cloudy, with a low around 23.

And then on Sunday, back into the 50's. So, I think I will take Friday
off to do some work around the pond. I can see any of my lilies yet
because of an algae bloom. Maybe the snow, cold, and no sunshine will
temper this. LOL I sure hope so because I have not seen my fish in 3 days.

Have a happy Thursday!
W. Dale
Pond pictures soon!
Old 24-03-2005, 04:21 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Talk of snow and snowy pictures, brrrr. We had our own forecast for snow
last night or this morning. I'm glad to see I got up to drizzle, but I
wouldn't be surprised to see the foothills around us with snow at the top.
My ponds were up to 50* last weekend and have slowly dropped back to low
40's. (

Weather.com is predicting warmer temps for the weekend, but rain, rain,
rain, which we badly need. As long as it is nice the week after (spring
break) I'll be a happy camper. It has been an early spring here, frogs
woke up early, but it is turning out to be a late pond warm up and filter
start up for me. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 24-03-2005, 06:04 PM
DKat

dkat wrote:
[...]

Looking forward to seeing your pictures! I was born in Meeker. I still
miss that part of the country but when I move, if I want my husband to be
with me, it will have to be to warmer grounds....

Old 24-03-2005, 08:14 PM
news groups

dkat wrote:

[...]

LOL. I am beginning to understand.
My next door neighbor, who got me started with ponding, LOVES Colorado
and is thinking about moving to WV where it is warmer and has longer
ponding season!
His wife is in total agreement!
The front "they" were predicting has arrived! Very chilly temp here in
my part of the town. *sigh*
W. Dale
Old 24-03-2005, 08:25 PM
DKat

dkat wrote:

[...]

I keep saying to myself "April showers bring May Flowers!".... The crocuses
are up and soon we will be seeing other bulbs. At least we are in the time
of year where next week can be 70 degrees days (we are going to try to
forget the 1 foot snow storm on April 8th a couple of decades ago... and of
driving as far south as we could get in a couple of days to find green in
April and never finding it...).

Old 24-03-2005, 11:35 PM
winddancir

You people talking about how the weather is finally going above freezing
make me feel lucky to live in sunny (not really) California! Especially
in the valley, where temps almost never get close to freezing.
Man, I thought I was cold when night temps dropped to 42*!

--
winddancir
Old 25-03-2005, 01:33 PM
news groups

dkat wrote:

[...]

Oh, I hear you!
Remember all that gorgeous weather I was telling you about yesterday??
Weeeeeeeeeellllllll, today we are under a winter storm watch.. Received
a few inches of snow yesterday and it is supposed to snow today through
Sunday. And I must say, my pond looks gorgeous! LOL Nothing but white
fluffy stuff all around and then there is the rocks, water and water
fall. :-))). I planted crocuses this past fall. And so far nothing.
:-(( I guess I planted them too deeply. My neighbors' yards are simply
abloom with flowers! However, I did see tulips near the pond starting
to poke through. :-))
Yes, you will get the snow! :-)))) Always happens that way.
W. Dale of "Wilmdale Pond"
Old 25-03-2005, 01:34 PM
news groups

winddancir wrote:

You people talking about how the weather is finally going above freezing
make me feel lucky to live in sunny (not really) California! Especially
in the valley, where temps almost never get close to freezing.
Man, I thought I was cold when night temps dropped to 42*!

We would LOVE to have a low of only 42!!!! LOL
W. Dale of "Wilmdale Pond"
Old 29-03-2005, 01:22 AM
Ponder_Eh?

Your link to the pictures worked just fine. It was nice to see pictures
with colorful flowers and green grass, so I went outside to take a look at
my Pond and... couldn't find it.

But I took a couple of pictures and put them on the first page of my
Website - maybe someone can spot it for me. I did see - at the back of my
lot - a little 'knob' sticking out of the snow. That is the top of the
pedestal for the Bird Bath. If I was to wade out there it would be up to
my... uhmm... navel in snow.

Snowshoes - I should have taken out my snowshoes. Nah! Another month and
the snow will be gone and I can walk out there like a normal person, across
the bridge over the pond, and lift the top of the birdbath onto the
pedestal.

--
Ponder_Eh?

Visit The Pond http://my.tbaytel.net/tboard/

Old 29-03-2005, 01:38 AM
dkat

You SO have my sympathy! It is raining cats and dogs here today and we
still have snow but at least MOST of it is gone. I remember in Connecticut
we had snow until June one year. I can't believe that is going to happen to
anyone this year. May your days be sunny and your nights be warm....

"dkat" wrote in message
[...]

snow snow snow! Janet Tweedy[_2_] United Kingdom 11 18-01-2013 09:37 PM
Fish are still Alive Peter Pan[_5_] Ponds (moderated) 3 30-12-2008 02:43 AM
Robyn still alive Robyn Rhudy Ponds 0 22-09-2003 04:12 PM
BIZARRE - RED CRYPT MELTED over night after two years of growth Beruka Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 17-07-2003 08:45 PM
BIZARRE - RED CRYPT MELTED over night after two years of growth Beruka Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 11-05-2003 10:45 PM