Old 30-03-2005, 02:47 PM
pixi

Default Goldfish fin rot

I am at my wit's end, if I ever had any at all. Those fantail goldfish that
I bought a month or so ago that immediately came down with both ick and fin
rot, even though all of the equuipment was new and never used.

The ick is long gone, but the fin rot keeps coming back. I keep changing
the water and putting in antibiotics. It disappears and then it's back.
Can't understand it.

I used to raise tropical fish and had over 20 tanks. Never had this kind of
problem.

Can anyone help me?

Old 30-03-2005, 05:00 PM
Reel McKoi

"pixi" wrote in message
I am at my wit's end, if I ever had any at all. Those fantail goldfish

that
I bought a month or so ago that immediately came down with both ick and

fin
rot, even though all of the equuipment was new and never used.

The ick is long gone, but the fin rot keeps coming back. I keep changing
the water and putting in antibiotics. It disappears and then it's back.
Can't understand it.

I used to raise tropical fish and had over 20 tanks. Never had this kind

of
problem.

Can anyone help me?

====================
Are you talking about goldfish in a pond or an aquarium? How many do you
have and how large is the pond/tank? Have you checked for ammonia and
nitrites in the water? This sounds like a water quality problem.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 30-03-2005, 05:10 PM
pixi

10 gallon aquarium. Three gold fish or there were. I put the one with the
worst rot in a one gallon fish bowl by itself. One teaspoon of salt in the
water and he (it) looks better. I keep changing the water. Could the
ammonia and nitrates be in the city water?

Old 30-03-2005, 06:27 PM
Elaine T

pixi wrote:
10 gallon aquarium. Three gold fish or there were. I put the one with the
worst rot in a one gallon fish bowl by itself. One teaspoon of salt in the
water and he (it) looks better. I keep changing the water. Could the
ammonia and nitrates be in the city water?

If you have chloramines and are using a simple chlorine neutralizer then
you will get ammonia from the city water. Nitrates can come from city
water, but nitrite is rare. However, you are probably killing off your
filter bacteria by using antibiotics and the ammonia is from inadequate
filtration. You might want to discontinue the antibiotics, use only
salt, and seed the filter in the 10gal with bacteria using some bio
media from your pond or another fishtank.

__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old 30-03-2005, 08:53 PM
Reel McKoi

"pixi" wrote in message
10 gallon aquarium. Three gold fish or there were. I put the one with

the
worst rot in a one gallon fish bowl by itself. One teaspoon of salt in

the
water and he (it) looks better. I keep changing the water. Could the
ammonia and nitrates be in the city water?

------------------
You may want to discuss this in rec.aquaria.freshwater.goldfish.
The ammonia and nitrites come from the fish waste themselves.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...

rot rot rot [email protected] Orchids 29 30-03-2006 08:56 PM
Koi fin rot? advice please [email protected] Ponds 7 07-08-2005 08:16 AM
Goldfish Fin Rot Help.... d t Ponds 1 22-04-2005 04:01 PM
Fin Rot Sir Douglas Cook Freshwater Aquaria Plants 14 20-06-2004 11:07 PM
Koi missing Pectoral fin! Bob Ponds 8 12-08-2003 04:43 PM