GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Duck Weed!! Duck Weed!! Duck Weed!! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/91791-duck-weed-duck-weed-duck-weed.html)

Troy Church 01-04-2005 10:06 PM

Duck Weed!! Duck Weed!! Duck Weed!!

I know what caused it, and I know it can be a good thing for the water and
fish, but it is everywhere. Is there anything I can use to abate it a
little? Natural? Herbicide? Eat it?

The pond is approximately 3/4 acre, has run-off from the neighborhood
(trying to take care of that) and the air temperature reaches 80-85F daily.
Thanks in advance.

Troy

Reel McKoi 01-04-2005 10:12 PM

"Troy Church" wrote in message
link.net...
I know what caused it, and I know it can be a good thing for the water and
fish, but it is everywhere. Is there anything I can use to abate it a
little? Natural? Herbicide? Eat it?

The pond is approximately 3/4 acre, has run-off from the neighborhood
(trying to take care of that) and the air temperature reaches 80-85F

daily.
Thanks in advance.

============================
Depending on the type of duckweed both koi and goldfish will eat it. But
you have a small lake, not a pond. That would take a lot of fish....
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

~Roy~ 01-04-2005 10:28 PM

I had a heap of it myself, but last week when the pond 1+ acre in
size) overflowed and then the stream backup into the pond, and went
out again it took virtually all of the duckweed along with the outflow
of water. I have very very little left around the pond now. Same for
my frogbit, which need a good thinning as well.....too bad the
parrots feather did not leave with the duck weed.

Some koi and gold fish like eating it........It does not appear that
my koi or most of my GF like it though,

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 20:06:11 GMT, "Troy Church"

wrote:

===I know what caused it, and I know it can be a good thing for the water and
===fish, but it is everywhere. Is there anything I can use to abate it a
===little? Natural? Herbicide? Eat it?
===

Troy Church 02-04-2005 08:48 AM

I've thought about the fish route. There are a number of fish in the
pond/lake, but we just moved here and I don't know exactly what they are.
Some are quite large and I haven't had the time, yet, to catch some to see
if they are the variety that will eat anything else I put in there, or if
they are primarily herbivores. Has anyone had luck with tilapia in a
pond/lake like this? The waterway is very seasonal and the depth fluctuates
from 3' in the Florida dry season (winter) to almost 10' in the summer.

Reel McKoi 02-04-2005 07:37 PM

"Troy Church" wrote in message
hlink.net...
I've thought about the fish route. There are a number of fish in the
pond/lake, but we just moved here and I don't know exactly what they are.
Some are quite large and I haven't had the time, yet, to catch some to see
if they are the variety that will eat anything else I put in there, or if
they are primarily herbivores. Has anyone had luck with tilapia in a
pond/lake like this? The waterway is very seasonal and the depth

fluctuates
from 3' in the Florida dry season (winter) to almost 10' in the summer.

======================
I'm from TN so can't answer the tilapia question. I believe they're a
tropical fish. You can have several types of fish in your lake. I'm
surprised the seller didn't tell you or the RE agent what they are. But
then ducks can carry fish eggs from one place to another. Our neighbor's
stock pond gets populated that way.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

~Roy~ 03-04-2005 04:02 AM

===
==="Troy Church" wrote in message
l.earthlink.net...
=== I've thought about the fish route. There are a number of fish in the
=== pond/lake, but we just moved here and I don't know exactly what they are.
=== Some are quite large and I haven't had the time, yet, to catch some to see
=== if they are the variety that will eat anything else I put in there, or if
=== they are primarily herbivores. Has anyone had luck with tilapia in a
=== pond/lake like this? The waterway is very seasonal and the depth
===fluctuates
=== from 3' in the Florida dry season (winter) to almost 10' in the summer.

Tilapia should do well in middle and lower florida waters....If the
waters temps get much below 60 deg or so they start to
die......Although here in my area they raise tilapia, and have been
quite sucessful with them overwintering (south central Alabama) so you
never know until you try. They also say Plecostemus (sp?) can't
handle water coler than 60 deg, or they die...I have a few pleco's or
that has been in my pond over 6 years now and well over 16 or more
inches in length and they do just fine, and my water has gotten into
the lower 40's already......and even with my depth I seriously doubt
its 60 deg or above on the bottom during winter months.

DKat 05-04-2005 10:22 PM

- H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
"~Roy~" wrote in message
I had a heap of it myself, but last week when the pond 1+ acre in
size) overflowed and then the stream backup into the pond, and went
out again it took virtually all of the duckweed along with the outflow
of water. I have very very little left around the pond now. Same for
my frogbit, which need a good thinning as well.....too bad the
parrots feather did not leave with the duck weed.

Some koi and gold fish like eating it........It does not appear that
my koi or most of my GF like it though,

Stop feeding them and the will..... :)