GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   white blobs (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/91935-white-blobs.html)

Ed and Mary Sturdivant 04-04-2005 09:02 PM

white blobs

I have a pond that is five years old which is fed by runoff roof water.
There appeared a couple of weeks ago several egg-sized white semi-opaque
gelatinous "blobs" attached to the stems of underwater plants. I noticed the
same thing last year and they did not appear to hurt the pond or the
inhabitants therein ( goldfish, woodfrog and green frog tadpoles, newts,
diving beetles etc.) My impression is that they are egg masses but I cannot
see any individual eggs, they appear just to be uniformly milk white and
rather firm to the touch. Does anyone have any idea what they are? Thanks so
much, Ed Sturdivant

kathy 04-04-2005 09:18 PM

Scroll down this page and see if the egg case
looks the one in your pond
http://www.insectblog.com/archives/2...water_sca.html

The other option, which I love to do..., is to cut the egg case off and
bring it into the house and see what happens!

kathy :-)

Mark and Kim Smith 04-04-2005 10:04 PM

snip

The other option, which I love to do..., is to cut the egg case off and
bring it into the house and see what happens!

kathy :-)

Don't do that!! Haven't you ever seen the movie "Invasion Of The Body
Snatchers"?!?

Bill Stock 05-04-2005 12:23 AM

"Mark and Kim Smith" wrote in message
snip

The other option, which I love to do..., is to cut the egg case off and
bring it into the house and see what happens!

kathy :-)

Don't do that!! Haven't you ever seen the movie "Invasion Of The Body
Snatchers"?!?

Damn, beat me to it. :)

kathy 05-04-2005 12:23 AM

m&ksmith wrote Don't do that!! Haven't you ever seen the movie
"Invasion Of The Body
Snatchers"?!?

Bwa, ha, ha! All part of my evil plan!!

kathy :-)

Bill Stock 07-04-2005 12:40 AM

"kathy" wrote in message
ups.com...
m&ksmith wrote Don't do that!! Haven't you ever seen the movie
"Invasion Of The Body
Snatchers"?!?

Bwa, ha, ha! All part of my evil plan!!

kathy :-)

Several year's from now, we'll be reading the "tell-all" book co-authored by
Kathy's children.

"Our mother was a Pond Alien!"

:)

kathy 07-04-2005 05:21 AM

Hmmmm, those sneaky kids!!!

kathy :-)

kathy 07-04-2005 05:23 AM

And to think I hatched them, nine months slaving
over those eggs!

kathy :-)

Derek Broughton 07-04-2005 03:10 PM

Bill Stock wrote:

"kathy" wrote in message
ups.com...
m&ksmith wrote Don't do that!! Haven't you ever seen the movie
"Invasion Of The Body
Snatchers"?!?

Bwa, ha, ha! All part of my evil plan!!

kathy :-)

Several year's from now, we'll be reading the "tell-all" book co-authored
by Kathy's children.

"Our mother was a Pond Alien!"

I knew I was involved in this discussion years ago! See
http://tinurl.com/4codq (or look for "rec.ponds body snatchers" in Google
groups).

I see that the comparison of the Blob to the Body snatchers seems to come up
annually.
--
derek