GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Make fish friendlier? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/92009-make-fish-friendlier.html)

Carl Beyer 06-04-2005 12:07 AM

Make fish friendlier?

I go to Koi farms, and the fish come running. I have been at friends
ponds and the fish come up Mine seem hang out, even at feeding time.

When they come up to feed it is quick, grabbing the food then slapping
around a skittering off...

Just wondered if there is a technique, or just luck of the draw. I also
wonder if it is the zillions of Mosquito fish that attach the pellets
that make the other fish unfriendly.

Carl

http://www.cobaltbluefilms.com

RichToyBox 06-04-2005 12:43 AM

Sometimes the fish will become friendlier if you just sit there while
feeding them. To get them more interested in feeding, it sometimes helps to
withhold food for several days, and then feed very sparingly. I have two
ponds, one the fish are very reserved, and will just come to get food. The
other pond, the fish are all over themselves by the time I get there. I can
sometimes pet several of the fish without having any food with me. It also
helps sometimes to get a super calm and friendly fish, such as a chagoi, or
ochiba to show the others that there is nothing to be afraid of.
--
RichToyBox