GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Anyone know what fish this is? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/92064-anyone-know-what-fish.html)

[email protected] 07-04-2005 02:09 AM

Anyone know what fish this is?

Anyone know what fish this is? I say fathead minnow (rosy red) but it
seems to be bigger than the 3 1/2" max and I think I saw a 5" one.

http://www.wildlifereserve.org/fish/f1.jpg
http://www.wildlifereserve.org/fish/f2.jpg
http://www.wildlifereserve.org/fish/f3.jpg
http://www.wildlifereserve.org/fish/f4.jpg

Thanks,

Sam

[email protected] 07-04-2005 02:19 AM

Sorry, I failed to say where it was caught. It's in western PA in a
freshwater pond.

[email protected] 07-04-2005 10:32 AM

I am sure it is some kind of minnow, LOL

However, it almost looks like a Lake Smelt...

Any chance a wayward spawning smelt could have gotten in there?

Paul
www.pondkoi.com

George 07-04-2005 05:41 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...
Anyone know what fish this is? I say fathead minnow (rosy red) but it
seems to be bigger than the 3 1/2" max and I think I saw a 5" one.

http://www.wildlifereserve.org/fish/f1.jpg
http://www.wildlifereserve.org/fish/f2.jpg
http://www.wildlifereserve.org/fish/f3.jpg
http://www.wildlifereserve.org/fish/f4.jpg

Thanks,

Sam

Looks like a shiner.

[email protected] 07-04-2005 06:12 PM

Agreed, shiner. Fathead isn't that sleek...

Paul
www.pondkoi.com

[email protected] 08-04-2005 11:48 AM

I had a fish biologist ID it for me. It is a creek chub.

Sam