Old 08-04-2005, 06:28 AM
Gary

Default Privacy screen suggestions?

I'm looking for ideas on plants I could use as a privacy screen between
my house and the neighbors. Here is my situation:
I'm in Zone 6, dry climate. My neighbor and I want to create a privacy
screen between our houses. We don't want to erect a fence but are
looking at other alternatives, such as planting bushes or other plants
that will grow (preferably fairly rapidly) into a natural privacy
screen that extends from ground level to about 6 ft. tall. We would
prefer using something that would provide privacy year 'round, such as
evergreens.
Our houses are only about 15-20 feet apart and the area in between is
very shady because the two houses keep it shaded most of the day. Also,
there are two tall pine trees (with no lower branches)situated close to
the property line. The area we are looking at is about 20 feet in
length.
Thanks for any suggestions anyone might have.
Gary

Old 08-04-2005, 07:15 AM
sherwindu

I have a similar situation with my neighbor. I decided to plant hemlock, a
beautiful
evergreen which is shade tolerant and can be trimmed to the 6 foot height you
want.
I'm in zone 5, but they should work in zone 6, as well. I'm spacing mine every
6 feet,
or so, and although small now, they should fill in after a few years. Hemlock
prefers
damp, well drained soil, slightly acidic.

Sherwin D.

Old 09-04-2005, 12:02 AM
Cumberpach

"Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm looking for ideas on plants I could use as a privacy screen between
my house and the neighbors.

Does willow grow in zone 6 ? My brother grew a willow 'fedge' 30 x 7 foot in
the UK.
http://www.simplywillow.co.uk/willow4/page3.html

The only supplier in the US seems to be sold out for '05
http://www.bluestem.ca/living-willow-structures.htm
but in view of the fact, you get an instant hedge (fedge?) after 12 months,
it may be worth reserving for '06.

Pete

Old 09-04-2005, 12:40 AM
Gary

Sherwin & Pete-
Thank you for the excellent suggestions.
I will need to do some further research to see if hemlock would thrive
in my area. We are quite dry, and our soil tends to be a little more
on the alkaline side of the continuum, but it still might work. This
would make a very nice, natural-looking screen.
The woven willow fedge is a very interesting idea, as well. We do have
several varieties of willow trees and bushes here - some native, some
not. One of the photos in the Bluestem link reminded me of a couple of
woven willow chairs my grandparents had. I believe the chairs came
from the Ozarks, but I'm not sure. This application could make a great
divider!
Thanks again to both of you,
Gary

Old 09-04-2005, 01:18 AM
dkat

"Cumberpach" wrote in message

"Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm looking for ideas on plants I could use as a privacy screen between
my house and the neighbors.

Does willow grow in zone 6 ? My brother grew a willow 'fedge' 30 x 7 foot

in
the UK.

Willow is a water hog. The best thing to do is to drive around your local
area and see what is triving and what it is that you like. What would do
splendidly on Long Island would not do at all in Phoenix. Posting where you
are might help people offer suggestions but even then there is an issue of
micro-climates which is why you want to look at your local neighborhood.

Old 09-04-2005, 01:38 AM
Gary

Willow is a water hog.
That would definitely be a consideration, since here in Colorado we
often have to conserve water, especially in these recent years of
drought.
Thanks!

Old 09-04-2005, 03:51 AM
dkat

What part of Colorado?

http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopE...ees/xeris7.htm
http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopE...rees/think.htm

"If you're looking for an evergreen that would fit into a smaller landscape,
a good choice would be the Bristlecone Pine (Pinus aristata). Bristlecones
can grow up to 20 feet tall but rarely spread more than 10 feet wide. Their
growth rate is considered slow but they do not require much water so would
be a good choice for a naturalized area in a yard. Bristlecone pines are
well known for surviving in harsh environments and living for many years
without needing much care.

They are distinctive with their gnarled and twisted growth, sticky white
resin on the needles (some people confuse the resin for pine needle scale),
and dark green needles that are displayed in bundles of five. "

ups.com...

Old 09-04-2005, 11:45 PM
Gary

I'm in Western Colorado near the Utah border - Grand Jct., actually, if
you know where that is.
Do you know if Bristlecone Pines retain their branches and needles all
the way down to ground level in shady areas. I have some other
Ponderosa-type pine trees that have dropped the needles off their lower
branches and over time the branches died as the trees grew taller. We
have some beautiful Blue Spruce around here, but they get much too
large for the space I have. The links you included were very helpful!
Thanks again,
Gary

Old 10-04-2005, 03:43 AM
dkat

I was born in Meeker. I don't know about these pines retaining their
branches and needles to ground level. The lost of lower branches has
happened with some of my pines but only after many years... and then I just
plant Rhodies under them. I don't think that would work in your area. I
just bought a Leyland cypress for a corner of my yard and saw some really
pretty cedars of other types that are medium size and I think would do
better at keeping the lower branches... This site says the Leyland can be
trimmed to keep small. If you do it right, it would keep it's lower
branches.

http://ag.udel.edu/extension/information/hyg/hyg-91.htm

"Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm in Western Colorado near the Utah border - Grand Jct., actually, if
you know where that is.
Do you know if Bristlecone Pines retain their branches and needles all
the way down to ground level in shady areas. I have some other
Ponderosa-type pine trees that have dropped the needles off their lower
branches and over time the branches died as the trees grew taller. We
have some beautiful Blue Spruce around here, but they get much too
large for the space I have. The links you included were very helpful!
Thanks again,
Gary

Absolute fastest Growing hedge plant for tall privacy screen???? joe Gardening 8 01-03-2006 05:22 PM
Privacy screen suggestions? Gary Gardening 8 10-04-2005 03:43 AM
Privacy Screen Mark Bornfeld Gardening 1 09-08-2004 04:03 AM
Conifers as privacy screen Ron Blocher Lawns 0 20-07-2003 02:53 AM
privacy screen rb Lawns 1 22-05-2003 03:56 AM