GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Watercress (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/92457-watercress.html)

CanadianCowboy 14-04-2005 08:03 PM

Watercress

I am confused on weather a Watercress plant floats or is potted .

Can anybody fill me in on this. I want to buy some at the grocery store
and then allow it to grow roots but then I am not sure if it can just
float or be tied down or potted or what ???

Mike Patterson 14-04-2005 10:42 PM

Throw a couple handfuls in the pond and it''l find a happy place,
believe me.

My waterfall gets overgrown, I have to keep pulling it out to keep it
from taking over completely.

MP.

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 19:03:46 GMT, CanadianCowboy
wrote:

I am confused on weather a Watercress plant floats or is potted .

Can anybody fill me in on this. I want to buy some at the grocery store
and then allow it to grow roots but then I am not sure if it can just
float or be tied down or potted or what ???

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin

Bonnie NJ 14-04-2005 10:53 PM

I float mine in a slotted basket with a brick in it - so that it stays were
I want it to be. When the roots develop, you can put it by the side of the
pond and hold it in place with a rock. Or you can just leave it in the
slotted basket.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Gareee© 14-04-2005 11:01 PM

Just an update.. 5 of the grocery stores here do not carry it, and say that
it looks bad whenever supplied.

One store is ordering me some, but when I checked today, they did not get
thier shipment of it for some warehouse reason.

They are going to try to get it in again on saturday.

Is watercress a seasonal thing, or are there ever any issues with it?

It doesn't sound like it from the ng posts....

--
Gareee's Homepage:
http://www.fortunecity.com/tattooine.../mainframe.htm

Remove Delicious spam to reply

kathy 14-04-2005 11:22 PM

You know, I really can't say... as I only look for it during the
spring, I'm not sure if it is available the rest of the year.

kathy :-)

[email protected] 15-04-2005 12:39 AM

A few years ago one of the local stores said they could order a crate
of it for $60. Last year I bought a bunch of seed packets at Walmart
and had loads of it between the rocks and in the top of the biofilter.
Plus, I had a couple of months of salad from it. I just sprinkle the
seeds on a pan of dirt and keep it really wet. Happy water Gardening.

Sean Dinh 15-04-2005 08:01 AM

Here in SoCal, Asian supermarkets have them year round.

Derek Broughton 15-04-2005 02:27 PM

CanadianCowboy wrote:

I am confused on weather a Watercress plant floats or is potted .

Yes! If you "throw it in" it'll probably root somewhere. Potting it just
keeps it (mostly) where you want it :-)
--
derek

Mike Patterson 15-04-2005 06:39 PM

Don't know what part of the world you inhabit, but here in the Atlanta
Ga, USA area the Publix supermarkets carry it in the produce section
in plain plastic bags.

Gareee© 15-04-2005 07:47 PM

"Mike Patterson" wrote in message

Don't know what part of the world you inhabit, but here in the Atlanta
Ga, USA area the Publix supermarkets carry it in the produce section
in plain plastic bags.

Waynesville NC.. and none of my local stores at all had it.. I tried 5, plus
a few health food stores as well.. but I'm in a VERY small town...POP 9,233
or so.

Bonnie NJ 15-04-2005 08:50 PM

The POP. of my town is around 800, but we're close to another larger town.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Gareee© 15-04-2005 10:09 PM

I might still take a crack getting it from Asheville, if this local store
doesn't come through on Saturday.

We started getting almost freezing temps overnight, so a few days delay
isn't a bad thing.

Tuleps are in bloom, and the Dogwoods are loosing their flowers already
here, and they say that when the blooms are all gone, that's the best time
to plant.

ink.net...