Old 16-04-2005, 05:28 AM
DD DDD

Default Micron/polishing filter for ponds

Is there a micron/polishing filter for ponds? I had one for my aquarium
but I would not think it would work for a pond. I had a magnum 350 for
my 55 gallon and it did clear the water quick but the filter had to be
changed weekly and very expensive. So can I polish my 300 gallon pond?
And Ideas? Thank you

Old 16-04-2005, 05:43 AM
George

"DD DDD" wrote in message
Is there a micron/polishing filter for ponds? I had one for my aquarium
but I would not think it would work for a pond. I had a magnum 350 for
my 55 gallon and it did clear the water quick but the filter had to be
changed weekly and very expensive. So can I polish my 300 gallon pond?
And Ideas? Thank you

It would be more trouble and cost than it would be worth, since you would end up
changing the filter about 5 times more often than you did in your aquarium. Why
do you want to provide such filtration for a pond anyway? It is, after all, a
pond.

Old 17-04-2005, 05:07 AM
DD DDD

Well I just like to keep the water crystal clear. I love it when the
water is clear and I see all my fish/turtle frogs..

Old 17-04-2005, 05:23 AM
George

"DD DDD" wrote in message
Well I just like to keep the water crystal clear. I love it when the
water is clear and I see all my fish/turtle frogs..

Here is a link to a description of my pond filter. As you can see from the last
picture, the water is very clear.

http://home.insightbb.com/~jryates/filter.htm

Old 17-04-2005, 03:32 PM
~Roy~

I would think it would be impracticle for a larger pond or water
feature, but my wifes two half barrel setup uses a home brew filter.
The water has always been pretty darn clean........HOwever being the
type individual that I am, likes to experiment and make things, I
found a pleated paper type filter element that is used in a hot tub
system or perhaps from a inhousae water filterration setup, and it
fits perfectly inside the old fashioned cast iron hand pump that is
used to discharge water back into the one barrel. The water has never
been cleaner or clearer, its gin clear.......easy to clean as
well......Filter fits right down inside the cast iron pumps body.

I also obtained a large supply of new but obsolite filters from a
defunct hot tub company which are supposed to last 2 to 4 years of
continous use with weekly cleanings. I am making up a large filter
assembly to filter a portion of my natural ponds water that is pumped
through a series of preforms utilizing flow through circulaton. I have
some settle ment chambers made from 55 gal drums, a vortex chamber,
and now adding these filters downsteam of the previously installed
items, in hopes to give water clarity a bit more edge in the preforms.
I know it will again become natural pond water look once it flows back
into the main pond but I am just hoping it will improve visibility and
reduce sediment and suspended materials in the preforms so I can see
the fish in them better......

Old 18-04-2005, 08:13 AM
Sean Dinh

Swimming pool filter uses DE or sand to polish water. If
you're extravagant, that filter could be used on your pond.