GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Wife is away- buy goldfish- help (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/92591-wife-away-buy-goldfish-help.html)

Larry 17-04-2005 06:29 PM

Wife is away- buy goldfish- help

Need every ones advice. I have a waterfall emptying into a 3' x 3' x
24" "pond". No filtration because I have only used it for it's
aesthetics and sound.(and because I have two curious Labs)

BUT, my wife is out of town and I have been dying to put in two
goldfish(of some kind)

a) is there enough bacteria in the water now so that I do not need
filtration?
b) will they be able to hide from the Labs?
c) what type would you recommend?

Hurry, she's back in four hours ;-}

PS Don't worry. I will not rush into anything. I would not want to
buy fish to have them stressed out or die because of poor planning.

All the best,

Larry

Charles 17-04-2005 07:03 PM

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 13:29:22 -0400, Larry wrote:

Need every ones advice. I have a waterfall emptying into a 3' x 3' x
24" "pond". No filtration because I have only used it for it's
aesthetics and sound.(and because I have two curious Labs)

BUT, my wife is out of town and I have been dying to put in two
goldfish(of some kind)

a) is there enough bacteria in the water now so that I do not need
filtration?
b) will they be able to hide from the Labs?
c) what type would you recommend?

Hurry, she's back in four hours ;-}

PS Don't worry. I will not rush into anything. I would not want to
buy fish to have them stressed out or die because of poor planning.

All the best,

Larry

I ran my pond for years with no filtration. with low fish load it
should work well.

with two ft depth the lab should be no problem. I expect it will just
look at the fish, then drink the water.

I'd recommend comets, common, or shubunkins. Not the fancy ones with
distorted bodies.

--
Charles

Does not play well with others.

~ jan JJsPond.us 17-04-2005 07:12 PM

Need every ones advice. I have a waterfall emptying into a 3' x 3' x
24" "pond". No filtration because I have only used it for it's
aesthetics and sound.(and because I have two curious Labs)

BUT, my wife is out of town and I have been dying to put in two
goldfish(of some kind)

a) is there enough bacteria in the water now so that I do not need
filtration? Larry

Probaby, what's the water temp?

I'd go with something colorful. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Ron Lawrence KC4YOY 17-04-2005 07:40 PM

Just run to your local pet store and buy a couple
of feeder gold fish, maybe .15 each.
If they die you're not out much, if they live
you're OK.

Ron

nemo2 18-04-2005 09:42 PM

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 13:29:22 -0400, Larry wrote:

Need every ones advice. I have a waterfall emptying into a 3' x 3' x
24" "pond". No filtration because I have only used it for it's
aesthetics and sound.(and because I have two curious Labs)

BUT, my wife is out of town and I have been dying to put in two
goldfish(of some kind)

a) is there enough bacteria in the water now so that I do not need
filtration?
b) will they be able to hide from the Labs?
c) what type would you recommend?

Hurry, she's back in four hours ;-}

PS Don't worry. I will not rush into anything. I would not want to
buy fish to have them stressed out or die because of poor planning.

All the best,

Larry

Hi Larry,

A bit late replying and no labs, but we do have a cat. We have an an
aquirium (10x12x14 inches) with 2 goldfish, the cat regularly knocks
the lid off of the aquirium and drinks from it. The goldfish don't
seem to worry about the cat and vice versa.

regards

nemo2

JamesG 22-04-2005 03:11 PM

I put feeder goldfish in my pond and they have done well. For a dime a
piece you can't go wrong. Some of them are now over 6 inches and they
go well with the size of my pond (4ft x 6ft, a big koi in this small
pond would be weird. Lightly stock it and they should be fine, the
bacteria will adapt.