Old 20-04-2005, 02:08 AM
~Roy~

Default Potted lilly........never seen this before

I picked up a lilly today as the price was right and I am fond of red
lillys. Anyhow, this lilly was in a stock pond at a nursery. It was
already gorwing with lots of leaves, and looked really good. I noticed
it had what appeared to be foam rubber rolle d up around the lilly
root, to a size that fit snugly in the 8" diam pot it was in. Label
said not to repot the plant the first year, and that it had fertilizer
already in the pot, but to fertilize when new growth is oted or water
temps are over 60 deg. The pot was a standard nursery stock pot, with
6 holes around bottom edge, 8" in diameter and perhaps 10 inches tall.
The foam rubber was about1/2" thick cut into a strip of approx 2" wide
with the root in the center, with the foam rolled around it like a
roll of paper towels would be. I pulled it out to look, and thats when
I seen it was about 2" wide strip rolled up with lilly in center of
it. Under the foam rubber was pelleted clay.......The foam was a black
/ grey color, and was nothing more than what would appear to be cheap
carpet padding type foam..Seems like a pretty good idea to plant it
this way. A little gravel easily covered the foam at the top, and no
chance of a fish eating the roots or stirring up the dirt in the pot.
The foam is an open cell so water and nutrients can get in it and it
can compress with plant grpwth.

Anyone ever seen a lilly planted this way before? Pros/Cons to it
being done this way?

Old 20-04-2005, 04:17 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

The foam is an open cell so water and nutrients can get in it and it
can compress with plant grpwth.

Anyone ever seen a lilly planted this way before? Pros/Cons to it
being done this way? Roy

Nope, haven't seen this. I use strips of black weed fabric over the top of
the soil and put rocks on that. Both would keep the rocks from settling
down into the dirt, which use to happen before. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 20-04-2005, 09:19 PM
Stephen Henning

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:

The foam is an open cell so water and nutrients can get in it and it
can compress with plant grpwth.

Nope, haven't seen this. I use strips of black weed fabric over the top of
the soil and put rocks on that. Both would keep the rocks from settling
down into the dirt, which use to happen before. ~ jan

Before I redid my pool into a pond, we had potted about 4 lilies in the
shallow end. The colored ones eventually died, but the white one spread
over the entire 17'x47' pool. When we drained the pool, there was a
black, about 2", pipe that extended in a meandering fashion over the
entire pool. It was the rhizome of the white water lily. It was one
plant. We just broke the good parts of the old tuber into small pieces
to plant when we were done. By the way, the old meandering rhizome
obviously had left the original pot and was just living in the water.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
18,000 gallon (17'x 47'x 2-4') lily pond garden in Zone 6
Old 21-04-2005, 02:15 AM
~Roy~

I just dug up some lilly rhizomes about a month or so ago, and they
were like logs. I ust started to slice them into pieces, as long as
they showed signs of groeth inthe sections I cut out, they got
planted, and all is doing fine........I had thought it was going to be
a real chore to dig up those rhizomes, but once I got under one end,
and started to tug, they came up rather easy....
I guess they would be called rhizomes, or is it a tuber that a
tropical has......heck I don't know.......thats too technical for me
to remember.....

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 16:19:36 -0400, Stephen Henning
wrote:

===