Old 23-04-2005, 04:38 AM
Reel McKoi

Default Zillions of koi fry

About 10 days ago I put a huge bunch of parrots feather in my larger pond.
Within a day or so the koi went into a 48 hour breeding frenzy. I removed
the PF and spread it out between a kiddy pool and 3 planted barrels. I
looked carefully at sundown and saw quadrillions of koi fry swimming all
over the place. Eeeeek! I poured some green water in the barrels and pool.
I'm clueless as to what to feed them that would be tiny enough. I crumbled
flakes into a powder. I hope a few survive. I know a few will in the pond
itself. I never had so many to hatch out like this. I'm sure there wont be
enough natural food for them all so they'll need supplemental feedings.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 23-04-2005, 06:18 AM
Elaine T

Reel McKoi wrote:
About 10 days ago I put a huge bunch of parrots feather in my larger pond.
Within a day or so the koi went into a 48 hour breeding frenzy. I removed
the PF and spread it out between a kiddy pool and 3 planted barrels. I
looked carefully at sundown and saw quadrillions of koi fry swimming all
over the place. Eeeeek! I poured some green water in the barrels and pool.
I'm clueless as to what to feed them that would be tiny enough. I crumbled
flakes into a powder. I hope a few survive. I know a few will in the pond
itself. I never had so many to hatch out like this. I'm sure there wont be
enough natural food for them all so they'll need supplemental feedings.

http://home.swipnet.se/~w-12865/spawning.html has some ideas. I'd skip
the egg yolk because it does awful things to water quality.

Green water is a good start. Any baby fish will eat infusoria living on
the green water. If you're lucky there will even be some daphnia.
Start hatching out some baby brine shrimp once the fry look big enough
to take them. If you put them shrimp eggs somewhere warm, they'll hatch
as soon as 24 hours, cooler temps take 2-3 days. The reddish napulii
are a fantastic starter food for just about any fish once they've
graduated from infusoria in the greenwater. If you have any submerged
plants with green fuzz algae (even from an indoor fishtank), toss those
in with the fry as well. Most fish with a liking for greenery like koi
will pick at soft fuzz algae as babies.

After the baby brine shrimp, they'll be ready for pulverized koi food.
I either crumble flakes or use a mortar and pestle to grind adult
pellets for baby fish if they're really small.

http://www.thekrib.com/Food/brine-shrimp.html has all you'll ever need
to know about hatching brine shrimp. I've done it to grow out baby
tropicals, and it's really quite easy.

Good luck!

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__
Old 23-04-2005, 07:51 AM
Reel McKoi

"Elaine T" wrote in message
m...

http://home.swipnet.se/~w-12865/spawning.html has some ideas. I'd skip
the egg yolk because it does awful things to water quality.

## I used it once for pollywogs. I know the mess yolk makes. :-(

Green water is a good start. Any baby fish will eat infusoria living on
the green water. If you're lucky there will even be some daphnia.
Start hatching out some baby brine shrimp once the fry look big enough
to take them.

## I've long since given up on brine shrimp eggs. The hatch rate is always
terrible and they cost a fortune. The frozen baby brine always sink before
the fry get much inside them. I hope to keep the fry going on "green
water," algae and with powdered flakes. They seemed to be picking food
items from the fluffy algae on the sides of the pool and plants.

If you put them shrimp eggs somewhere warm, they'll hatch
as soon as 24 hours, cooler temps take 2-3 days. The reddish napulii
are a fantastic starter food for just about any fish once they've
graduated from infusoria in the greenwater. If you have any submerged
plants with green fuzz algae (even from an indoor fishtank), toss those
in with the fry as well. Most fish with a liking for greenery like koi
will pick at soft fuzz algae as babies.

## I've got tons of green fuzzy things for them to munch on. :-) Plus my
large pond is like pea soup. Odd since the smaller pond (800 gallons) is
crystal clear. I'm sure that green water is full of pond "life." I have a
microscope....

After the baby brine shrimp, they'll be ready for pulverized koi food.
I either crumble flakes or use a mortar and pestle to grind adult
pellets for baby fish if they're really small.
http://www.thekrib.com/Food/brine-shrimp.html has all you'll ever need
to know about hatching brine shrimp. I've done it to grow out baby
tropicals, and it's really quite easy.

## Yes, I agree it's easy *IF* you can find fresh eggs that will hatch, as
I used to do in NY over 25 years ago. The hatch rate back then was closer
to 80%, maybe more. Here (TN) I'm lucky to find eggs with a 10% hatch rate.

Good luck!

## Thanks! I'll let you all know how they make out on algae, pond life,
powdered flakes etc.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 24-04-2005, 01:00 AM
RichToyBox

I have used Larval Diet from Aquatic ECO. LD100 and LD400. The fry develop
at different rates and as soon as one gets large enough to get the small in
its mouth, the small get named Lunch. The numbers will drop by 50 to 80%
due to the ones named Lunch disappearing.
--
RichToyBox

Old 24-04-2005, 01:30 AM
~Roy~

Back when I used to raise bettas and other small tropical types, I
used to use hard boiled egg yolks.

Old 24-04-2005, 01:51 AM
Reel McKoi

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
I have used Larval Diet from Aquatic ECO. LD100 and LD400. The fry

develop
at different rates and as soon as one gets large enough to get the small

in
its mouth, the small get named Lunch. The numbers will drop by 50 to 80%
due to the ones named Lunch disappearing.

==========================
Thanks for the info. I'll hit the stores this week and see what I can find.
So far they all look good. I dump a lot of greenwater in each barrel and
the kiddy pool every day, along with powdered flakes for both the
animalcules in the water and any fry who can eat them. If most live I'm
going to need a lot more kiddy pools....
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...

Koi fry Phyllis and Jim Hurley Ponds 1 17-07-2005 04:09 AM
koi fry gunnar Ponds 2 02-07-2005 07:27 AM
The koi & GF fry Reel McKoi Ponds 0 29-05-2005 06:14 AM
Koi fry update Reel McKoi Ponds 0 14-05-2005 02:21 AM
The Koi Fry :-))) Reel McKoi Ponds 0 30-04-2005 09:37 PM