Old 29-04-2005, 12:17 AM
Mike C

Default Koi Spawning

My Koi appear to be spawning. I've never noticed this behavior before
as they were probably too young. I found clear small balls floating on
the top of the pond in clumps. I removed them the second time I saw
them to a separate container (the first time I left them and they
appeared to be eaten). Are these fertilized eggs, or did I remove them
to soon? How do you know the difference between fertilized and
non-fertilized eggs?

Old 29-04-2005, 12:56 AM
Mike C

Silly me. I think what I scooped up was actually Koi semen. 30
minutes after I put it in the container, it was dissolved. It looked
like foam when I first scooped i tup.

Old 29-04-2005, 12:59 AM
RichToyBox

Koi eggs are generally not found floating out in the pond. The female is
pushed against the side of the pond, plant pots, plants, rocks, or whatever
is handy to help her expel the eggs. The eggs, at least once fertilized,
which is being done by the male during expulsion, are very sticky and will
be stuck to the plants, rocks, liner, pots or whatever. They are generally
a light amber color and cover everything. If the number of fish spawning is
fairly high, there will be a coating of milt on the surface of the water
that will be kind of whitish, and may be foamy. With high levels, it will
have a very definite aroma, the smell of sex. If the fish have been
spawning, there are very high levels of protein in the eggs and milt, and
this will lead to very high ammonia levels, so be sure to check for ammonia
and treat with amquel or similar. The ammonia will be taken care of by the
filter bacteria within a few days, but nitrites will shoot up, and it may
take weeks for them to come back down.
--
RichToyBox

oups.com...

Old 29-04-2005, 02:46 PM
Derek Broughton

Mike C wrote:

Silly me. I think what I scooped up was actually Koi semen. 30
minutes after I put it in the container, it was dissolved. It looked
like foam when I first scooped i tup.

Exactly right! Spawning is one of the primary causes of foam in a garden
pond. It _is_ a good idea to scoop out the foam.
--
derek
Old 29-04-2005, 03:25 PM
Reel McKoi

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
Mike C wrote:

Silly me. I think what I scooped up was actually Koi semen. 30
minutes after I put it in the container, it was dissolved. It looked
like foam when I first scooped i tup.

Exactly right! Spawning is one of the primary causes of foam in a garden
pond. It _is_ a good idea to scoop out the foam.
--
derek

=========================
Because my ponds are netted that would be a real pain in the keester. It
disappears in 24 hours on it's own. The first time they spawned several
years ago I checked for an ammonia spike - there was none.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 29-04-2005, 04:39 PM
Derek Broughton

Mike C wrote:

Silly me. I think what I scooped up was actually Koi semen. 30
minutes after I put it in the container, it was dissolved. It looked
like foam when I first scooped i tup.

Exactly right! Spawning is one of the primary causes of foam in a garden
pond. It _is_ a good idea to scoop out the foam.

Because my ponds are netted that would be a real pain in the keester. It
disappears in 24 hours on it's own. The first time they spawned several
years ago I checked for an ammonia spike - there was none.

It's not a hard rule - and the bigger your pond the less likely it is to
cause trouble. If ammonia never appeared, it's not a problem at all. But
foam of any kind indicates a high organic load in the pond, and scooping it
as it develops is the simplest form of control. If it was a real problem,
then you'd want to consider a protein skimmer - which wouldn't be a problem
with a netted pond.
--
derek
Old 29-04-2005, 04:48 PM
Mike C

If I find the eggs, is it wise too remove them? My pond is fairly
small and I would imagine they would probably all be eaten otherwise.

Old 29-04-2005, 06:31 PM
George

Mike C wrote:

[...]

Hmmm. I have a reef tank, and everything I've ever read about protein skimmers
(I have two different ones) says that they don't work with fresh water. I
haven't actually attempted to use one this way so I am just going by what I have
read. Something about the surface tension being to low in freshwater. Now, if
the water was really fouled up, it might work for a while.

Old 29-04-2005, 07:01 PM
Reel McKoi

Mike C wrote:

[...]

============
I don't think it would be worth the cost considering they only breed a few
times in the spring.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 29-04-2005, 07:05 PM
Reel McKoi

"Mike C" wrote in message
ups.com...
If I find the eggs, is it wise too remove them? My pond is fairly
small and I would imagine they would probably all be eaten otherwise.

I removed the eggs this year. They were stuck to several bunches of parrots
feather. Few survive if left with the adult fish.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 29-04-2005, 07:35 PM
George

"Reel McKoi" wrote in message

"Mike C" wrote in message
ups.com...
If I find the eggs, is it wise too remove them? My pond is fairly
small and I would imagine they would probably all be eaten otherwise.

I removed the eggs this year. They were stuck to several bunches of parrots
feather. Few survive if left with the adult fish.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

If you remove the eggs, they must be aerated in order for them to have a change
at surviving. You can do this by using an airstone to run of gentle stream of
air bubbles over the eggs. Oh, and keep the temperature steady.

Old 29-04-2005, 07:40 PM
Reel McKoi

"George" wrote in message
news7vce.27502$WI3.23874@attbi_s71...

"Reel McKoi" wrote in message

"Mike C" wrote in message
ups.com...
If I find the eggs, is it wise too remove them? My pond is fairly
small and I would imagine they would probably all be eaten otherwise.

I removed the eggs this year. They were stuck to several bunches of

parrots
feather. Few survive if left with the adult fish.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

If you remove the eggs, they must be aerated in order for them to have a

change
at surviving.

## I did not aerate them. I dropped the parrots feather in 3 barrels and
one 150 gallon kiddy pool. They hatched in less than a week.

You can do this by using an airstone to run of gentle stream of
air bubbles over the eggs. Oh, and keep the temperature steady.

## You can't do that outside in large tubs or pools (zone 6).
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 29-04-2005, 07:40 PM
George

"Reel McKoi" wrote in message

"Mike C" wrote in message
ups.com...
If I find the eggs, is it wise too remove them? My pond is fairly
small and I would imagine they would probably all be eaten otherwise.

I removed the eggs this year. They were stuck to several bunches of parrots
feather. Few survive if left with the adult fish.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Here is a good article on spawning koi:

http://www.akca.org/library/spawn2.htm

Old 29-04-2005, 08:06 PM
Derek Broughton

George wrote:

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message

Hmmm. I have a reef tank, and everything I've ever read about protein
skimmers
(I have two different ones) says that they don't work with fresh water. I
haven't actually attempted to use one this way so I am just going by what
I have
read. Something about the surface tension being to low in freshwater.
Now, if the water was really fouled up, it might work for a while.

Everything you will read about protein skimmers says they're not nearly as
effective in fresh water. That doesn't mean they don't work. Think about
it. We've all seen foam at the bottom of water falls - often in cleaner
water than we have in our ponds. Steve Meyer, who wrote about pond fish
for years in AFM magazine swears by them for ponds.
--
derek
Old 30-04-2005, 12:05 AM
George

"Reel McKoi" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
news7vce.27502$WI3.23874@attbi_s71...

"Reel McKoi" wrote in message

"Mike C" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

No, but you can do it indoors, in a small aquarium set up as an incubator.

spawning! Carolyn Ponds 1 09-07-2003 02:48 AM
Odiferous spawning? Sue Alexandre Ponds 8 03-07-2003 07:32 AM
Spawning. Just Me \Koi\ Ponds 19 28-04-2003 10:32 PM
Spawning Part II MPEG Video of My Koi spawning are now on mad Ponds 0 29-03-2003 03:32 PM
Spawning Part II MPEG Video of My Koi spawning are now on line. Just Me \Koi\ Ponds 7 28-03-2003 05:32 AM