Old 29-04-2005, 06:01 AM
nortyler

Default Does anyone know the recomended flow rate for a Skippy filter?

I have a 3500 gph pump for an aprox. 2500-3000 gal pond. Maybe a 3ft
rise and 2in pvc get the flow down to 3000 gph. I am wondering if I
need to divert some flow if I build a 100 gal Skippy or if this is an
acceptable flow rate for the filter. I know some of you use Skippy
filters and would appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Nort

Old 29-04-2005, 11:20 PM

The Skippy should be 10% of the surface area of the pond so you are a
little off. I have that size bio-filter and my pond is about half you
size. Your pump would shoot the water thru before the bacteria could
grow. My pump pushes water thru a fountain and the bio-filter. Good
luck.

Old 30-04-2005, 05:39 PM
nortyler

Thanks for the response. I gto an e-mail from the guy at Skippy saying
that The filter could handle 5000 gph.

Old 30-04-2005, 10:03 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On 30 Apr 2005 09:39:39 -0700, "nortyler" wrote:

Thanks for the response. I gto an e-mail from the guy at Skippy saying
that The filter could handle 5000 gph.

Was that for the 100 gallon stock tank? Seem quite a lot of flow for that
size tank. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 01-05-2005, 12:29 AM
Kathy

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
On 30 Apr 2005 09:39:39 -0700, "nortyler" wrote:

Thanks for the response. I gto an e-mail from the guy at Skippy saying
that The filter could handle 5000 gph.

Was that for the 100 gallon stock tank? Seem quite a lot of flow for that
size tank. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Now you have me wondering? My pond is 300 gallon, pump is for up to 1200
gph. Could my "green" problem be that even with the flow split in two, we
are still pushing too much too fast, and nothing has time to settle? I have
a oak barrel/skippy style and a P2 filter that will run 750 gallons a hour
both going, using a diverter. I am using quilt batting and it still comes
out of the filter green! How fine can algae be? I thought it was big stuff?
KathyAZ

Old 01-05-2005, 06:55 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Now you have me wondering? My pond is 300 gallon, pump is for up to 1200
gph. Could my "green" problem be that even with the flow split in two, we
are still pushing too much too fast, and nothing has time to settle? I have
a oak barrel/skippy style and a P2 filter that will run 750 gallons a hour
both going, using a diverter. I am using quilt batting and it still comes
out of the filter green! How fine can algae be? I thought it was big stuff?
KathyAZ

Could be, algae is very fine, microscopic even. Balance is one's best bet
against it. Perhaps your filter isn't large enough, or you have too many
fish? I've got a 500 gph with a 40 gallon capacity filter that is doing
fine. ~ jan

Old 02-05-2005, 02:43 PM
Derek Broughton

Kathy wrote:

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
On 30 Apr 2005 09:39:39 -0700, "nortyler" wrote:

Thanks for the response. I gto an e-mail from the guy at Skippy saying
that The filter could handle 5000 gph.

Was that for the 100 gallon stock tank? Seem quite a lot of flow for that
size tank. ~ jan

Now you have me wondering? My pond is 300 gallon, pump is for up to 1200
gph. Could my "green" problem be that even with the flow split in two, we
are still pushing too much too fast, and nothing has time to settle? I
have a oak barrel/skippy style and a P2 filter that will run 750 gallons a
hour both going, using a diverter. I am using quilt batting and it still
comes out of the filter green! How fine can algae be? I thought it was big
stuff? KathyAZ

4 turnovers per hour is not excessive. It's much slower than the flow rate
in the typical stream. The speed at which it goes through the filter is
really irrelevant unless it's going fast enough to force channels through
the filter material.

Green water - unicellular algae - is _very_ small.
--
derek
Old 09-05-2005, 05:58 PM
nortyler

Sorry I use google and this thread was pushed out of sight pretty fast
by the demented. I have actually built the filter since I posted this
thread.

Jan, the Skippy guy said the 100 gal Skippy could handle 5000gph if
you use a 4in. closet flange. Now that I have built the filter and seen
the flow it seems acceptable. I have been running water through the
tank without filter media and it has settled out the dirt and rock dust
from construction.

SZP, That was the recomended min. size according to Skippy for 3000
gal. my pond is probably slightly less than 3000 gal.. I would have had
trouble using a larger tank in the area behind the waterfall, so I
figured I would see how well it filtered and add a second filter
elsewhere if necessary.

Old 10-05-2005, 03:02 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On 9 May 2005 09:58:08 -0700, "nortyler" wrote:

Jan, the Skippy guy said the 100 gal Skippy could handle 5000gph if
you use a 4in. closet flange. Now that I have built the filter and seen
the flow it seems acceptable. I have been running water through the
tank without filter media and it has settled out the dirt and rock dust
from construction.

Cool. Thanks for the update. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~