Old 04-05-2005, 07:59 PM

Default Salinity?

Our pond has been doing fine for about 1 year, 3 coi, 4 gold fish and
several frogs moved in so we now have about 300 tadpoles. But, we are
finally getting around to getting a water softner system. They work by
addind salt to the water, so when I add water to bring the pond level
back up, do I need to worry about salinity? Pond is about 1400 gallons
and the level drops about an inch every couple of weeks.

Dave

Old 05-05-2005, 01:18 AM
RichToyBox

Water softeners use salt with an exchange resin to consume calcium and
magnesium, by replacement with sodium, or potassium. The calcium and
magnesium are then backwashed from the water softener periodically. The use
of softened water is not highly recommended. If you can, have an outside
faucet hooked to the water line in front of the softener. Also, every
gallon that is treated, consumes some of the salt, adding to the workload of
the softener. The fish will actually do better, as will the yard, with the
harder water.
--
RichToyBox

oups.com...

Old 05-05-2005, 03:49 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On 4 May 2005 11:59:32 -0700, "
wrote:

Our pond has been doing fine for about 1 year, 3 coi, 4 gold fish and
several frogs moved in so we now have about 300 tadpoles. But, we are
finally getting around to getting a water softner system. They work by
addind salt to the water, so when I add water to bring the pond level
back up, do I need to worry about salinity? Pond is about 1400 gallons
and the level drops about an inch every couple of weeks.

Dave

Softeners do other things to the water that isn't that great for fish, by
pass the softener for the pond. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 05-05-2005, 01:49 PM

~ jan said:

Softeners do other things to the water that isn't that great for

fish, by
pass the softener for the pond.

I was afraid of that, since by-passing the softner will be
difficult. Water comes into the house from the well at one end of the
house and the outside outlet at the other end, is the very last thing
in the chain. Not sure how to handle it.

Dave

Salinity pete Permaculture 34 04-07-2005 11:37 AM
Salinity [Was: Environmental Hypocrisy] Phred sci.agriculture 0 16-07-2003 04:22 PM
salinity testing *muffin* Ponds 3 18-05-2003 07:32 PM