GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   The water is CLEAR!!!! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/93657-water-clear.html)

Elaine T 06-05-2005 09:50 PM

The water is CLEAR!!!!

OMG - All the algae is gone from my pond! I can't believe it! *dance*

I was puttering around Wednesday and could only see the usual 6-8" down
but I noticed there was a lot of debris building up on the spillway
grates. Yesterday, I only tossed in food for the fish and didn't even
have time to watch them eat.

Today, I looked in the water, and to my shock, I could see the gravel I
spilled ages ago on the bottom of the tub! The water has gone
completely clear in two days. The algae on the sides seems to have died
off as well. I guess everyone else has seen this happen, but it's my
first pond and I'm fascinated.

Thanks to everyone who counseled addition of some beneficial bacteria
and patience once I had enough plants. It worked! I'm sure a good part
of it is the water hyacinth and lettuce now rapidly spreading across the
surface of the water.

Also thanks to Jan who said it was fine to put fertilizer tabs in the
submerged bog plants. I did, and sure enough, the water cleared anyway
and they're growing nicely.

Guess I'll clean the prefilters this weekend. I'm so hoping the water
stays clear from here on out!

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

kathy 06-05-2005 10:53 PM

Hey Elaine!!!

Isn't it wonderful :-)))))

kathy :-)

~ jan JJsPond.us 07-05-2005 04:38 AM

Also thanks to Jan who said it was fine to put fertilizer tabs in the
submerged bog plants. I did, and sure enough, the water cleared anyway
and they're growing nicely.

You're most welcome and so glad to hear you're now "in the clear". ;) ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~