Old 17-05-2005, 03:58 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Default Fry hatched

The koi/goldfish eggs we found on the furnace filter have hatched. Jim
looked at the mat and found it egg-free. Now we wait to see how many
grow up to be seen in the berm pond. Some will surely go down the
filter, but he thinks most of them will manage to stay hiding in the 400
gal pond.

Phyllis

Old 17-05-2005, 04:04 AM
George

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in message
news
The koi/goldfish eggs we found on the furnace filter have hatched. Jim
looked at the mat and found it egg-free. Now we wait to see how many
grow up to be seen in the berm pond. Some will surely go down the
filter, but he thinks most of them will manage to stay hiding in the 400
gal pond.

Phyllis

Congratulations.

Old 17-05-2005, 05:03 AM
Reel McKoi

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in message
news
The koi/goldfish eggs we found on the furnace filter have hatched. Jim
looked at the mat and found it egg-free. Now we wait to see how many
grow up to be seen in the berm pond. Some will surely go down the
filter, but he thinks most of them will manage to stay hiding in the 400
gal pond.

Phyllis

==========================
Watch the current... that can kill them as well as being sucked into the
filter. There are fry-friendly filters out there. I don't use filters with
fry until they're over a week old.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
before flushing." :-)

Old 17-05-2005, 05:47 AM
George

"Reel McKoi" wrote in message

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in message
news
The koi/goldfish eggs we found on the furnace filter have hatched. Jim
looked at the mat and found it egg-free. Now we wait to see how many
grow up to be seen in the berm pond. Some will surely go down the
filter, but he thinks most of them will manage to stay hiding in the 400
gal pond.

Phyllis

==========================
Watch the current... that can kill them as well as being sucked into the
filter. There are fry-friendly filters out there. I don't use filters with
fry until they're over a week old.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
before flushing." :-)
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

If your pond has plenty of shelter, you should not have to worry too much about
them getting sucked into a filter. Fry tend to stay out of open waters if there
is shelter for them. My pond has lots of rocks with plenty of nooks and
crannies to hide in, especially behind the waterfall where the water is calm and
there are plants to hide among as well. Adult fish generally tend to eat the
fry if they can catch the, so they are more of a threat than the filter is. So
I would try to provide some sheltered areas for them. I agree about the
current, though. It can be rough on fry. Perhaps they can add a valve to the
outlet on the pump and crank the flow down a bit.

Old 17-05-2005, 06:04 AM
Elaine T

George wrote:
"Reel McKoi" wrote in message

[...]

In fishtanks, I put a big, fat open cell sponge on the filter inlet. It
slows the flow and keeps fry from being sucked in. Would the same work
in a pond or would it clog too fast?

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old 17-05-2005, 06:13 AM
Reel McKoi

"George" wrote in message

"Reel McKoi" wrote in message
Watch the current... that can kill them as well as being sucked into the
filter. There are fry-friendly filters out there. I don't use filters

with
fry until they're over a week old.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
before flushing." :-)
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

If your pond has plenty of shelter, you should not have to worry too much

about
them getting sucked into a filter. Fry tend to stay out of open waters if

there
is shelter for them.

$ I see them both in the taller plants and in the thickets of hornwart and
parrots feather, *and* in the open part of my 150 gallon kiddy pools. They
don't get too close to the air stones. This may be because there are no
bigger fish in these pools so they feel safe (???). I don't know. I do
know I have found small dead fry in my Tetra filters that are on the big
ponds. They get too close to those baskets over the big Versa pump and ....
:*(

My pond has lots of rocks with plenty of nooks and
crannies to hide in, especially behind the waterfall where the water is

calm and
there are plants to hide among as well. Adult fish generally tend to eat

the
fry if they can catch the, so they are more of a threat than the filter

is.

$ Probably most get eaten if larger fish are present. Dragon fly larvae
also eat them. Very few fry survive in my 2000 gallon pond. More survive
in the smaller pond, but that pond is closer to nature and has more thickets
of plants in the warm shallows. I would really like to redo my large pond
and make it more natural looking. Also the man made the sides too steep and
they're starting to cave in. We're going to have to redo it sooner or later
anyway. Holding all the fish in some kind of tub or pools while the work
is being done is going to be a real problem because some of my koi are
pretty darn big now (ammonia).

So
I would try to provide some sheltered areas for them. I agree about the
current, though. It can be rough on fry. Perhaps they can add a valve to

the
outlet on the pump and crank the flow down a bit.

$ I do believe current in many ponds is what kills many newly hatched fry.

--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
before flushing." :-)

Old 17-05-2005, 08:54 AM
George

"Elaine T" wrote in message
m...
George wrote:
"Reel McKoi" wrote in message

[...]

It would most likely clog too fast and would be more trouble than it's worth.
Aside from removing them to a tank, the best solution is to provide a shelter
for them in the pond.

Old 17-05-2005, 08:59 AM
George

"Reel McKoi" wrote in message
[...]

If there are no adults in the pool, they would likely venture out into open
water. If adults are in the pool, they will stay in a sheltered area until they
get much larger. I'm not saying that it isn't possible for them to get caught in
a filter, but if you arrange things in the pond in a way that keeps them away
from that filter, you shouldn't have any problems. My pre-filter is far away
from the sheltered areas, so I've never seen any fry get in it.

Old 17-05-2005, 11:30 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

The berm pond they are in is about 400 gal and has a covering of plants
with lots of roots. It does not have structure (rocks, pots, etc), but
htat could be arranged. There is little flow as the water takes about
40 minutes to fill/go through the pond. Jim will toss more adult plants
(hyacinth) with deeper roots into it. It has only a few mosquito fish
in it. We shall see what the fry do.

Phyllis

Old 17-05-2005, 05:20 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

The berm pond they are in is about 400 gal and has a covering of plants
with lots of roots. It does not have structure (rocks, pots, etc), but
htat could be arranged. There is little flow as the water takes about
40 minutes to fill/go through the pond. Jim will toss more adult plants
(hyacinth) with deeper roots into it. It has only a few mosquito fish
in it. We shall see what the fry do.

Phyllis

I be surprised if the fry survive the mosquito fish, if they're gambusia,
those things are like piranha on other fish species fry. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 17-05-2005, 06:12 PM
Reel McKoi

"George" wrote in message
It would most likely clog too fast and would be more trouble than it's

worth.
Aside from removing them to a tank, the best solution is to provide a

shelter
for them in the pond.

======================
The calmest and shallowest area would work well when full of bushy plants
like hornwart and parrots feather tangles. I use a few potted pickerel weed
or something tall to keep them in place. I always see fry in such areas. I
removed some eggs to try and raise more than a few this year. I'm really
enjoying watching them grow. :-) One pool is all butterfly koi fry, some
at least should be diamond scales.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 17-05-2005, 08:26 PM
Elaine T

George wrote:

It would most likely clog too fast and would be more trouble than it's worth.
Aside from removing them to a tank, the best solution is to provide a shelter
for them in the pond.

Thanks! Still learning the ins and outs of where ponds and tanks are
similar and different.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__
Old 17-05-2005, 10:32 PM
George

"Elaine T" wrote in message
om...
George wrote:

It would most likely clog too fast and would be more trouble than it's worth.
Aside from removing them to a tank, the best solution is to provide a shelter
for them in the pond.

Thanks! Still learning the ins and outs of where ponds and tanks are similar
and different.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

You're welcome.

Old 20-05-2005, 03:03 AM
Reel McKoi

"George" wrote in message
If there are no adults in the pool, they would likely venture out into

open
water. If adults are in the pool, they will stay in a sheltered area

until they
get much larger. I'm not saying that it isn't possible for them to get

caught in
a filter, but if you arrange things in the pond in a way that keeps them

away
from that filter, you shouldn't have any problems. My pre-filter is far

away
from the sheltered areas, so I've never seen any fry get in it.

=========================
The koi fry are growing much faster than the GF fry. There have been no
more fry deaths since the weather settled and the water temps are more
stable. I still don't have the room to raise them all unless I either
install another pond (not gonna happen) or I buy more kiddy pools.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
before flushing." :-)

First baby hummingbird hatched today Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 1 28-03-2010 03:37 AM
Baby hawk just hatched Srgnt Billko Lawns 0 04-05-2007 04:57 AM
My first fry have hatched Andy Ponds 2 23-05-2005 04:47 AM
Ducklings hatched in courtyard, will they live on grass alone? Ned Hart Ponds 17 17-06-2003 11:56 PM
Checking for Fry's MISSYMAGICGIRL Ponds 1 26-03-2003 04:20 AM