GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   are pond fish in the usa different to the uk (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/94284-pond-fish-usa-different-uk.html)

matt 18-05-2005 06:10 PM

are pond fish in the usa different to the uk

I keep a pond in my back garden and there alot of species that can be kept like: tench rudd chubb koi goldfish orfe minnow bream roach stickleback. but i was wondering what people keep in america. if there is anyone who knows about the american species i would be very interested.

Reel McKoi 19-05-2005 05:23 AM

matt wrote:
I keep a pond in my back garden and there alot of species that can be
kept like: tench rudd chubb koi goldfish orfe minnow bream roach
stickleback. but i was wondering what people keep in america.

Weapons of Mass destruction.

Glenn S. 20-05-2005 01:05 AM

matt wrote:
I keep a pond in my back garden and there alot of species that can be
kept like: tench rudd chubb koi goldfish orfe minnow bream roach
stickleback. but i was wondering what people keep in america. if there
is anyone who knows about the american species i would be very
interested.

my front pond (three hard plastic tubs totalling 400 gallons) has only
four small Koi. The back yard pond (about 4500 gallons) has about a
dozen Koi of various sizes (largest about 12-14" (30-36cm)) and a bunch
of cheap goldfish that I'm still trying to get rid of. A 'friend' put
them in there as a welcoming gift after we finished building the pond
four years ago.

--
G.D.Smith
Harpers Ferry, WV

FOR SALE: 2003 Swee****er 22' Pontoon Boat
http://icanhelp56.homestead.com/gs_pontoon01.html

FOR SALE: 1999 Fleetwood Mallard 37' Travel Trailer
http://icanhelp56.homestead.com/Mallard001.html

Tom L. La Bron 21-05-2005 12:03 PM

Matt,

Most people around my area who are serious ponders keeping only KOI and/or
Goldfish and then some also have Orfes. Others who have ponds, just to have
a pond, may also have Blue Gills, various kinds of Catfish (Blues, I have
heard, are the best, but they are now protected fish) and minnows and
sometimes Bass. If you keep the natives though your KOI and Goldfish must
be good size because the others will eat them. I live in North Central
Oklahoma.

Personally, I only keep Ornamental Goldfish.

Tom L.L.